Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer
ResponsibilitiesLocation Woodbridge, OntarioCA Job ID JR-031651
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
Our dedicated team of about 16,000 employees worldwide, pioneers scientific technologies for better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
If you are seeking a meaningful, impactful, and stimulating career, look no further.
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will participate as an integral member of project team in defining the engineering design/architecture for the new and existing products. This position will also support other mechanical design and development activities within PerkinElmer.
- Develop mechanical designs in a concurrent engineering environment from the conceptual stage through completion of the detailed design using SolidWorks and the preparation of technical part drawings using GD&T principles.
- Work with vendors and internal resources to develop working prototypes of new products and verify that these prototypes meet all of the required product specifications.
- Work with manufacturing to bring product designs from the engineering prototype phase to production release, address quality or value engineering issues on current shipping products.
- Prepare bills-of-materials with the company’s integrated part management system
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred, in Mechanical engineering or closely related discipline with 5-10 years professional experience in a similar environment preferred.
- Demonstrated skills using SolidWorks for parametric designs in 3D solids modeling and 2D drawings.
- Ability to perform tolerance stackups in regards to proposed designs.
- Experience in the design and development of highly toleranced parts and subassemblies (e.g. Ion optics and Vacuum systems) with knowledge of total system packaging and integration is essential.
- Knowledge of sheet metal fabrication, plastic injection molding, and machining processes.
- Solid knowledge in material science and material properties.
- Experience in large and miniature part design and fabrication. Strong knowledge in structural dynamics, modal behavior, FEA, and vibration analysis.
- Design for manufacturing: Ease of assembly, Cost of Goods, second sourcing. Experience in Industrial Design. Familiar with thermal design, air flow, heating and cooling.
- Design for serviceability: Ease of access, positioning schemes for assemblies requiring servicing to return to original location without the need for jigs in the field.
- Experience in low flow liquid handling and pumping systems.
- Industry experience in analytical or process instrumentation is preferred.
- Demonstrated communication and team skills in a multi-project and product line environment.
- Initiator of innovative design and development concepts. Understanding how to relate design elements to system level specifications and performance.
- Finding and evaluating new vendors, managing relationships, and generating specifications for outsourced design.
- Experience in solving complex and high impact designs and development problems.
- Must have a good background in moving designs from R&D prototypes to Manufacturing production released parts.
- Demonstrated history of handling and driving projects to completion in a schedule driven environment.
- Demonstrated history of creativity, innovation, and outside-the-box thinking.
- Ability to be persuasive and sell ideas to others. Assemble, debug, and test prototype mechanical assemblies.
- Methodical troubleshooting and debugging capabilities.
- Good documentation skills. Good communication skills.
- Leading efforts in high impact and long range strategic projects and initiatives.
- Leading the design and delivery of new products and technology. Initiative and drive to accomplish goals with minimal guidance.
- Ability to manage time between multiple tasks.
- Ability to interface and work collaboratively with representatives from different departments across the company including divisions in other countries.
- Must be able to collaborate within your design group, but also drive your own design ideas and schedule.
- Must work in a multi-disciplined environment (Electrical Eng., Mechanical Eng., Systems Eng., Research/Development Scientists, Software, and Firmware).
- Must work with Operations people located throughout the world (NPI, Manufacturing, Sales, and Product Support).
- Must work with Research groups to convert new technology to product.
- Participate in Peer Design Reviews.
· Minimal travel required.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
“PerkinElmer has empowered and provided me the opportunity to learn and grow with the company. Every success is celebrated at PerkinElmer. I contribute every success to my supportive mentors and my team, the best that I have got in my entire corporate years. The sense of belongingness and respect for each other gave me a deeper meaning of what a family truly means. At PerkinElmer, I have found my family.”
“PerkinElmer is, by essence, a truly ethical company and I feel myself supported and valued. It is great to work in a place where my personal values match the company´s values, and that is PerkinElmer for me”