Senior Software Engineer - Chromatography Instrumentation
On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Woodbridge, Canada Status Regular Job ID JR-015939
The Senior Software Engineer will provide software design and development skills in innovating and developing new generation PerkinElmer Chromatography Data System. The role will include close collaborations with geographically dispersed software teams within PerkinElmer organization.
This Position is responsible for the design, development, testing, documentation and analysis of modules or features of new or upgraded software systems and products. Develops and/or executes implementation according to project plans and priorities. Engineers may develop a range of products including device drivers, patches, operating system modifications, EDI routines, graphics modules, etc.
- Degree in Computer Science, electrical/computer engineering, mathematics, physics, molecular biology, or equivalent
- Hands-on experience with developing, deploying and maintenance of complex applications is required
- Provide skills and be responsible for design and development of Data Acquisition Subsystem of Chromatography Data System Software
- Map requirements to specs that lead to design and architecting a software solution(s)
- Design modules according to established layered architecture
- Understand boundaries, interfaces and roles and responsibilities for major subsystems and modules of the application
- Be able to quickly ramp up knowledge about analytical chromatography instrumentation and workflows (LC, MS, GC)
- Provide skills dealing with distributed client/server architectures, be familiar with different types of inter-process communication mechanisms
- Work closely with solution architects and other developers on solution design
- Document and communicate design/architecture
- Be a team player and put team objectives above personal ambitions
- Ensure that software design conforms to the documented architecture
- Identify and mitigate technical risks
- Work on low-level device control protocols through variety of transports TCP/IP, RS232 etc.
- Work on low-level device control protocols through 3rd party vendor APIs.
- Be part of distributed Agile team
- Develop automated tests as a part of software deliverables
- Be able to quickly and efficiently switch if required between different application layers: UI, core logic, devices, data persistence etc
- Experience in developing applications using SDLC process and agile / SCRUM methodology.
- Experience developing software for Analytical Instrument Acquisition Systems is a big plus.
- Experience with Analytical Instrument driver frameworks is an asset (ICF.NET, RC.NET and others)
- Savvy with tools and technologies (including but not limited to .NET, .NET Core; C#; WPF MVVM; C++; SQL and NoSQL DBs; message buses and queues) to develop state-of-the-art applications.
- Ability to work with distributed cross-functional teams - excellent group interaction and negotiating skills.
- Customer focus, value driven – passionate about working to develop applications to address customer needs.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks with different priorities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Office environment
- R&D lab with scientific instruments; mass spectrometers, autosamplers, prototypes, etc.
- Prolonged seating associated with computer-related activities
- Loud sounds generated by pumps and other instruments
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams