Senior Scientist - Mass Spectrometry
Woodbridge, Canada | , Canada
ResponsibilitiesLocation Woodbridge, OntarioCA Job ID JR-029325
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
Our dedicated team of about 16,000 employees worldwide, pioneers scientific technologies for better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
If you are seeking a meaningful, impactful, and stimulating career, look no further.
Senior Scientist – Mass Spectrometry Research and Development
PerkinElmer is a global technology leader driving growth and initiative in the Environmental and Human Health Science markets. The company is a leading force in the development, production, marketing, servicing, and supporting of laboratory instrumentation and ancillary services throughout the world.
PerkinElmer, a global leader in technology is searching for an experienced research and development scientist to help drive innovative solutions in our Mass Spectrometry (MS) R&D team. The individual will become a key member of a group of senior PerkinElmer researchers and liaise closely with other scientists at PerkinElmer’s partners and collaborators. This position reports into PerkinElmer’s Global R&D organization.
This position is based in Woodbridge (part of greater Toronto area), Ontario, Canada, at 501 Rowntree Dairy Road, Unit 6 Woodbridge ON L4L 8H1.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Initiate, direct, and execute scientific research with an emphasis on developing next generation technology, trade secrets, and intellectual property.
- Act as a mass spectrometry scientific expert within the R&D team during implementation and process confirmation phases, allowing thorough conceptualization and overall design and testing of new products.
- Influence the scientific community and market via patents, publications, and conference presentations.
- Provide research project planning and time estimates.
- Evaluate competitive products and new technologies from research institutions, aiming to enhance future products.
- Work with manufacturing, sustaining, and service personnel to improve quality, cost, manufacturability, and serviceability of products.
- Demonstrate independent and creative scientific thinking, ability in solving complex problems, and resilience to setbacks and changes.
- Experience and ability to lead and coordinate multiple collaborative projects in a cross-functional program team environment.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Doctoral (Ph.D.) degree in Physics, Chemistry, or Engineering, with strong computer and mathematics skills required, Postdoctoral fellowship is strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience
- Knowledge of mass spectrometry theory and components and prior experience is a must (such as electromagnetic fields, ionization sources, mass analyzers (quadrupoles, TOF, and traps), RF systems, charged particle detectors and electrometers, data acquisition hardware).
- Knowledge of Gas Chromatography (GC) theory, Liquid Chromatography (LC) theory and components is a must.
- Knowledge and experience in design and development of ionization sources for MS is strongly preferred.
- Strong instrumentation design skills and troubleshooting ability.
- Ability to make independent decisions.
- Proficient programming skills in one or more industry standard computer languages or firmware.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical drawings and electrical.
- Ability to dissect problems and projects into manageable tasks.
- Excellent group interaction and negotiating skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to plan and define research projects.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks with different priorities.
- Previous successful academic or work-related experience mentoring peers is preferred.
- Proven track record of publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Company Operating Name: PerkinElmer
Business Address: 501 Rowntree Dairy Rd, Unit 6, Woodbridge, ON L4L 8H1, Canada
Terms of Employment: Permanent, Full-Time
Language of Work: English
Wage: $100,000.00 to $115,000.00 CAD per year
Benefits: PerkinElmer offers competitive Group Benefit solutions via Canada Life/GWL. The plan includes Life Insurance/AD&D, Employee Critical Illness, Long term disability, Health Care and Dental Care plan. PerkinElmer offers a matching Pension Plan after a 1 year waiting period.
Mailing Address: PerkinElmer Health Sciences Canada, Inc., 501 Rowntree Dairy Road, Unit 6, Woodbridge ON L4L 8H1
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
“PerkinElmer has empowered and provided me the opportunity to learn and grow with the company. Every success is celebrated at PerkinElmer. I contribute every success to my supportive mentors and my team, the best that I have got in my entire corporate years. The sense of belongingness and respect for each other gave me a deeper meaning of what a family truly means. At PerkinElmer, I have found my family.”
“PerkinElmer is, by essence, a truly ethical company and I feel myself supported and valued. It is great to work in a place where my personal values match the company´s values, and that is PerkinElmer for me”