Principal Software Development Engineer
Woodbridge, Canada | American Fork, Utah
On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Woodbridge, Canada, American Fork, Utah Status Regular Job ID JR-020446
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
Our dedicated team of about 14,000 employees worldwide, pioneers scientific technologies for better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
If you are seeking a meaningful, impactful, and stimulating career, look no further!
Our team is seeking a Principal Software Development Engineer to assist in software design and development for our new generation PerkinElmer Chromatography Data System. You’ll get to collaborate with our teams from around the globe in our shared goal of making the world a healthier place for all!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide skills and be responsible for design and development of Data Acquisition Subsystem of Chromatography Data System Software.
- Map requirements to specs that lead to design and architecting a software solution(s).
- Design modules according to established layered architecture.
- Understand boundaries, interfaces, and roles and responsibilities for major subsystems and modules of the application.
- Be able to quickly ramp up knowledge about analytical chromatography instrumentation and workflows (LC, MS, GC).
- Provide skills dealing with distributed client/server architectures, be familiar with different types of inter-process communication mechanisms.
- Work closely with solution architects and other developers on solution design.
- Developing, documenting, and communicating design/architecture.
- Be a team player and put team objectives above personal ambitions.
- Identifying and mitigating technical risks.
- Be part of distributed Agile team.
- Develop automated tests as a part of software deliverables.
- Be able to quickly and efficiently switch if required between different application layers: UI, core logic, devices, data persistence etc.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Electrical/Computer Engineering, or similar field.
- Hands-on experience with developing, deploying, and maintenance of complex applications.
- Experience in developing applications using SDLC process and agile / SCRUM methodology.
- Proven track record of designing, developing scalable web applications on top of large, distributed systems.
- Experience in developing modern cloud and on-premises data systems.
- Hands-on experience with IoT solutions and systems is a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of tools and technologies used for modern data backend systems like:
- Go, TypeScript, C#, Node JS
- Kubernetes, Nomad, Kafka, RabitMQ, Nats
- Microservice design patterns
- Web technologies (HTTP, JSON,APIs, Rest, HTML, GraphQL)
- Database systems SQL and No SQL (PostgreSQL, MongoDB)
- Cloud computing services (AWS, Azure)
- Ability to work with distributed cross-functional teams - excellent group interaction and negotiating skills.
- Customer focus, value-driven – passionate about working to develop applications to address customer needs.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks with different priorities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Paid Vacation, holidays, and sick time
Medical, Dental, Vision Coverage
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams