Public Relations Professional
Waltham, Massachusetts | Hopkinton, Massachusetts
ResponsibilitiesLocation Waltham, MassachusettsUS Job ID JR-015677
PerkinElmer enables scientists, researchers and clinicians to address their most critical challenges across science and healthcare. With a mission focused on innovating for a healthier world, we deliver unique solutions to serve the diagnostics, life sciences, food and applied markets. We strategically partner with customers to enable earlier and more accurate insights supported by deep market knowledge and technical expertise. Our dedicated team of about 13,000 employees worldwide is passionate about helping customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the wellbeing and longevity of people globally. The Company reported revenue of approximately $2.9 billion in 2019, serves customers in 190 countries, and is a component of the S&P 500 index.
It’s a dynamic time to join PerkinElmer as we help combat COVID-19 and tackle other critical areas for improving people’s lives through the power of science. We are seeking two skilled public relations professionals to join our close-knit Corporate Communications team to help us continue to tell these important stories around the world. The new positions are ideal for self-starters with 3-5 years of solid media relations background and capable of succeeding in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. These positions will support our efforts to drive PerkinElmer’s reputation in the business, consumer, trade and vertical industry media both in print and in digital vehicles.
The two new members of the Public Relations team will each work hand-in-hand with our PR Managers and collaborate with leadership and business partners in exciting areas of PerkinElmer’s business. Based on the background and experience of the candidates, areas of focus would include diagnostics (COVID-19 testing, reproductive health, emerging diagnostic solutions and genomics), corporate public relations (earnings, executive thought leadership, crisis management) and discovery and analytical solutions (life sciences, food, environmental, informatics, industrial, and professional service solutions). Day-to-day responsibilities will include supporting inbound media requests, developing press releases and media alerts, creating proactive pitches for trade and tier-1 media working closely with our subject matter experts.
You will also be an important part of and plugged into our overall Corporate Communications team which oversees social media, executive communications, company reputation, internal communications and corporate social responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Media Relations: establishing relationships with key journalists and influencers across national, trade and vertical media channels; daily online monitoring of industry and media developments with a knack for identifying emerging stories in line with business objectives; collaborating with the Public Relations team to create new storylines and crafting timely media pitches; offering thoughtful advice and recommendations to business segment leaders regarding media strategy and messaging/positions, tactics and media opportunities; helping to develop and deploying rapid response to breaking news.
- Writing: drafting press releases or media alerts to announce PerkinElmer’s product launches, collaborations, new research and other newsworthy items; creative and insightful media pitches, bylines, briefing documents, Q&As, executive summaries; supporting creation of presentations, as needed.
- Project & Program Execution: working with another key PR team member to track and analyze media coverage; drive speaking and award databases and submissions; prepare recap/follow up items for weekly team meetings and select engagements with internal stakeholders; develop editorial calendars and targeted media/influencer lists and contribute to quarterly reports.
- Internal Relations: forging strong relationships with business stakeholders and key subject matter experts globally to align public relations strategy with business objectives and corporate strategy, including gathering information and creating narratives.
- Assisting with Corporate Communications ad hoc projects (research, writing, revising documents).
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 3-5+ years public relations experience in an agency environment or in-house
- Track record of securing media hits derived from proactive, creative pitches
- Proven ability to keep abreast of current affairs and relate them to company’s initiatives
- Exemplary attention to detail and experience with the basic principles of business writing, editing and AP style guidelines; excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable liaising with others, especially those in different geographies and in a matrixed work environment
- Thorough knowledge of digital media (types, channels and processes)
- Proactive ability to gather information, reach out to colleagues and initiate dialogue with others
- Displays maturity, professionalism and a positive attitude
- Strong team player, able to work across boundaries
- Operate well under pressure and balance multiple priorities at any given time
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Understands and avidly follows the news agenda
- Background in healthcare/biotech a plus
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of this job at any time.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Meet Our People »and learn more about Rachel
"There is nothing cookie-cutter about my job. I’m never stuck doing routine tasks."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Manny
"There’s never a day I don’t think about how my team truly helps accelerate scientific research."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Lee
"Being innovative in my job is second nature. I’m constantly discovering ways to make methods easier and higher performing for the industry."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Samantha
"When I go to one of my mentors and let them know that I have learned something new, I am able to apply it in a real project right away which has been extremely helpful to my professional growth and has enabled me to continue achieving my goals."