Principal Software Engineer (Back End)
On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Waltham, Massachusetts Status Regular Job ID JR-018859
- Collaborate with fellow team members on priorities, specifications, and feature implementation
- Craft well-documented, clean, and tested code
- Create secure, performant interfaces and services
- Build and maintain new, high-impact functionality into Signals Notebook
- Work with cloud services and technologies
- Bachelor's degree
- 10+ years of professional work experience
- Exceptional Java programming skills
- Experience building web services and restful APIs
- Experience working with JDBC in a transactional application (using any RDBMS but preferably PostgreSQL)
- Experience designing or extending the database schema of a transactional application and understanding how this impacts performance
- An awareness of performance implications of different queries and inserts/updates
- Experience of query tuning and optimization
- Ideally experience improving database performance by offloading workload on the RDBMS to a caching mechanism built on Redis or Memcached
- Some experience with AWS, Docker, elasticsearch, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, RabbitMQ, vert.x
- Must have strong teamwork orientation and the ability to foster collaboration within and across teams
- Thorough understanding of and experience with structured software development methodologies including design, development, and testing in an Agile environment
- Excellent work ethic and strong sense of ownership of end result
- Entrepreneurial minded, creative problem solver, and innovative thinker
- Life science experience a plus
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams