Clinical Laboratory Supervisor (AM Start, Day Shift)
ResponsibilitiesLocation Valencia, CaliforniaUS Job ID JR-018038
Provide day-to-day supervision or oversight of the clinical laboratory operation and personnel performing testing and reporting test results.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Adhere to proper resource allocation and coordination. Ensuring maximum efficiency in the use of personnel; controlling departmental supply expenses. Manage and share daily workload; use time wisely, providing a productive atmosphere.
• Demonstrate thorough knowledge of test methodologies and quality control.
• Monitor specimen preparation and test analyses to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance (external and internal quality controls) are maintained.
• Ensure all instrument maintenance is performed and documented; administer all established quality control procedures and troubleshoot instruments effectively when appropriate.
• Assist in the review, interpretation and reporting of test results.
• Assure that all remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the established performance specifications.
• Provide orientation and training to all testing personnel.
• Perform, evaluate and document employee competency.
• Perform, evaluate and document employee performance appraisals.
• Develop, write, review and implement procedures and policies, as approved by Director or Manager.
• Assures laboratory functions in a manner consistent with laboratory, CLIA and local regulations.
• Prepare laboratory for inspections and prepare reports as needed.
• Demonstrate technical expertise and perform duties of clinical laboratory technologist, as needed.
• Ensure safety, security, and the environment in all aspect of the daily activities, and any potential safety hazards are addressed and corrected immediately.
• Understand ergonomic relationship between people, equipment and working environment.
• Maintain good communication with leadership, team members, and customers.
• Demonstrate an awareness of client expectations and seek ways to satisfy.
• Demonstrate proficiency in all laboratory computer related tasks.
• Other duties as assigned.
Must meet qualifications established by CLIA for General Supervisor CFR Subpart M §493.1461
• MD or PhD, MS, BS Degree in chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science or medical technology.AND
• Have at least 1 year of laboratory training or experience, or both in high complexity testing. AND
• Have at least 6 months clinical molecular biology experience.
• Hold a current California Laboratory Personnel License (CLS generalist or CLS Microbiology) or California Public Health MLE Certificate.
• Previous supervisory experience in a clinical laboratory setting.
• Hands on technical expertise in Infectious Disease testing.
• Experience with high throughput sample testing, especially with RNA Extraction.
• Experience with LIMS and laboratory automation.
• Be detail-oriented, well-organized, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Good, accurate computer skills.
• Able to work effectively and able to deliver on tight datelines.
• Clinical Public Health Laboratory environment; exposure to blood borne pathogens; must wear personal protective equipment including lab coat, gloves and completely closed footwear.
• Employee may be requested to work shifts other than daylight depending on the needs of the laboratory.
• Weekend rotation may be required.
• Travel is not required.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use a keyboard, type, and occasionally stand and move to other parts of the lab.
• Must have manual dexterity to use lab equipment.
• Reach above/below the shoulder, bend at the knees and waist.
• Able to lift boxes up to 25 pounds.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of this job at any time.
PerkinElmer is a $2.9 billion global company committed to innovating for a healthier world. We create the instruments, tests and software used by scientists, researchers and clinicians to address the most critical challenges across science and healthcare, including the most recent COVID-19 pandemic. We strategically partner with customers to enable earlier, more accurate insights, supported by deep market knowledge and expertise. Our dedicated team of 13,000 employees are passionate about helping them work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life and sustain the wellbeing of people worldwide.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Meet Our People »and learn more about Rachel
"There is nothing cookie-cutter about my job. I’m never stuck doing routine tasks."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Manny
"There’s never a day I don’t think about how my team truly helps accelerate scientific research."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Lee
"Being innovative in my job is second nature. I’m constantly discovering ways to make methods easier and higher performing for the industry."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Samantha
"When I go to one of my mentors and let them know that I have learned something new, I am able to apply it in a real project right away which has been extremely helpful to my professional growth and has enabled me to continue achieving my goals."