Senior Research Specialist, Genome Biology
Pennington Reserve at Upper Providence, Pennsylvania
ResponsibilitiesLocation Upper Providence, PennsylvaniaUS Job ID JR-031666
- Maintain and enhance the capabilities of the GSK US High Content Imaging Hub via:
- The design and execution of plate-based assays focusing on image analysis
- Regular interaction with Genomic Sciences and the Research Units on how to best to move a project forward
- The development and support of an automated, high throughput imaging platform
- Develop assays and design acquisition protocols on behalf of the Genomic Sciences team
- Generate experimental proposals and present results at team and project meetings as well as conference and poster sessions.
- Maintain mammalian cell cultures to develop in vitro functional models and perform high-throughput screens.
- Maintenance of standard tissue culture cell lines including passaging, and plating.
- Understanding of routine laboratory reagents and instrumentation (ie; centrifuges, pipettors, plate readers, and liquid handling units).
- Maintain an electronic laboratory notebook
- Maintain laboratory supplies by routinely checking inventory.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of this job at any time
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biology, Biotechnology or Biomedical sciences fields with laboratory research experience in a laboratory environment.
2+ years of technical expertise in cell culture, general lab instrumentation, cell-based assays.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Previous experience in biotech and/or pharmaceutical drug discovery.
- Experience in Microscopy and High Content Analysis.
- Experience with advanced image analytics packages (Image J, FIJI, Columbus, Spotfire, etc)
- Experience with PerkinElmer Opera Phenix™ High Content Screening System.
- Understanding or use of CRISPR technology.
- Ability to work independently and deliver high-quality, consistent results in a timely fashion.
- Ability meet timelines successfully with the utmost attention to detail while setting high performance standards.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and communicate complex scientific data.
- Design and executes new and established methods and protocols.
- Must be able to remains in a stationary position more than 25% of the time
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move inside and outside labs
- Frequently operate on instruments, objects, tools or controls, which will require regularly bending, squatting, stretching and reaching in order to perform in a service function.
- Regularly move or lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally move or lift up to 100 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include without limitation, the ability to observe details at close range (within a few feet of the instrument), distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus in order to perform the essential service functions of this position.
- Occasionally operates a computer and other office machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Must be able to work in a laboratory, controlled environments requiring personal protective equipment.
- Job pace may be fast and job completion demands may be high.
- Employee may be required to manage hazardous wastes in compliance with company procedures & State/Federal/Local hazardous waste regulations. Duties may include: Identifying, handling, generating, accumulating, storing, labeling.
- Ensure safety, security, and the environment in all aspect of the daily activities, and any potential safety hazards are addressed and corrected immediately.
- Understand ergonomic relationship between people, equipment and working environment.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
"PerkinElmer is committed to making the world a better place, from helping improve the environment to the health of people around the world. It is a company with strong values."
"Helping PerkinElmer save over 70 babies a day gives me a sense of pride and purpose."