Lab Technician - Maternity cover (Temp)Apply Now
- Stevenage, England
To provide high quality technical lab support to GSK scientific staff. To ensure equipment is available and ready to use, that general lab housekeeping is maintained, and that reagents, buffers and other materials are prepared to appropriate standards.
This is a fixed term contract to cover maternity leave until end of January 2021.
Accountabilities or “what you have to do”
- To perform routine calibration/verification checks on a range of laboratory equipment such as pH meters and balances.
- Set up and operation of a wide range of standard lab equipment.
- Prepare aliquot and label a large variety of buffers and reagents.
- Preparation of QC standards.
- Prepare materials and equipment for use.
- Undertake in lab tasks for scientific staff to agreed protocols, e.g., radioactive and environment monitoring, gel plates collection preparation and distribution of analytical or biological samples
- Cleaning and disinfection of lab equipment such as incubators, hoods and safety cabinets.
- Maintaining lab stocks such as consumables and solvents.
- Operate to approved quality standards (e.g., GLP/GMP).
- Maintain QA systems by keeping accurate records of work undertaken, methods used and results achieved.
- To ensure safe operation of any equipment used (e.g., balances, pH meters, fume cupboards).
- Ensure compliance with all relevant working instructions, SOPs and safety instructions.
- To be responsible for maintaining a tidy and efficient laboratory environment and for ensuring health, safety and compliance standards are met and maintained.
- To liaise with customer groups to discuss their requirements, agree protocols for new tasks, escalation to Line Manager as required.
- Planning of own daily tasks.
- To ensure timely and accurate reporting of data including performance metrics.
- To perform any other reasonable tasks as requested by the Line Manager.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)or “What it will look like when you are doing the job well”
- Deliver exceptional customer service, to build valuable long-term relationships with customers and clients.
- Feedback from customer groups is excellent (Customer Satisfaction).
- Accurate and timely service delivery.
- Compliance and EHS Standards met.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Science background with qualifications to at least ‘A’ level standard or equivalent (grade C or higher) in a relevant scientific subject. Qualified to GCSE (grades A-C) or equivalent in Maths and English.
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment would be an advantage.
- Good Understanding of COSHH and GXP.
- Good customer focus.
- Be self-motivated and able to motivate others.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Experience in working to technical procedures (SOPs, Work Instructions) and safety related documents (Risk Assessments).
- Computer literate.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
Contextual or other information
- Appropriate PPE must be worn at all times.
- Handling of hazardous chemicals and biological samples.
- The post holder may have access to, or witness confidential information, which must not be divulged to any unauthorised person at any time.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Meet Rob PackerGlobal Infrared (IR) Portfolio Director
Meet Rachel AdomatSystem Applications Integrator
Meet Many FaragGas Chromatography (GC) Product Manager
Meet Lee MarottaSenior Field Application Scientist
Browse Videos and Content
We are excited to be featured on the big screen ticker in Times Square, New York City, honoring NewbornScreeningAwarenessMonth
FDA Provides Emergency Use Authorization to PerkinElmer for COVID-19 Testing. Learn More
Innovating a Healthier World
Our dedicated team of about 11,000 employees worldwide are passionate about providing customers with an unmatched experience as they help solve critical issues especially impacting the diagnostics, discovery and analytical solutions markets. Learn More
Corporate Social Responsibility
PerkinElmer is an active corporate citizen, committed to creating better outcomes in our communities and innovating for a healthier world. Learn More
Celebrating 80 Years of Making Life Better
We invite you to explore this special section where we reflect on our rich heritage of scientific innovation and how we have made life better over the last eight decades, including commemorating the innovative and passionate minds that have made our significant impact possible. Learn More
Stem Cell Study Offers Hope for Autism
One family shares the story of their autistic daughter whose symptoms nearly vanished after participating in a trial at Duke University. Source: CNN. Learn More
Powering Change: Women in Innovation & Creativity
At PerkinElmer, we are honored to recognize the remarkable talent of our female employees around the world and the tremendous impact that they have on our organization, today and every day. Watch this women in innovation video to learn more about PerkinElmer’s commitment to empowering women. Learn More
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit:https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams