ResponsibilitiesLocation Stevenage, GB Job ID JR-020534
As part of a team of onsite specialist engineers; responsible for, but not limited to, the facilitation of repair, maintenance, calibration and certification of laboratory instrumentation supported by LIS across UK GSK R&D and Consumer Health Care (CHC) R&D Sites.
The role provides high quality specialist engineering support to a wide range of laboratory equipment within the R&D community.
Perform advanced level repairs, upgrades and troubleshooting is a standard requirement. Service experience for maintenance/repair and validation of Single quadrupole Mass Spectrometry instrumentation together with the front-end instrumentation; Gas and Liquid Chromatography (GC, HPLC/UHPLC). An understanding of Liquid and/or Gas Chromatography Mass Spectroscopy (LCMS / GCMS) analytical chemistry techniques is expected and the Service Delivery experience on Agilent and Waters HPLC/UHPLC and MS single Quad instrumentation is required but not limited to, other manufacturers experience is also accepted.
To work closely with all members of the Engineering and wider Scientific Services teams to provide a proactive and focused approach efficiently meeting and advancing the business needs.
- Ensure prompt, flexible, customer focused specialist engineering support whilst maintaining compliance with statutory, regulatory and engineering standards
- Diagnose faults on complex equipment and systems utilizing the multi-disciplinary support of internal and external support to the team to produce a satisfactory solution.
- Plan and carry out engineering maintenance and commissioning work associated with scientific equipment and systems in a safe, cost effective manner to ensure minimum business disruption.
- Adhere to company risk assessments and methods developed in line with engineering standards and health & safety requirements.
- Ensure compliance to standard operating procedures, offering suggestions on improvements; where identified.
- Use technical knowledge to identify and source components and services.
- Create, manage and review supporting documentation e.g. Service reports and procedures
- Advise on, on request, engineering and scientific aspects of proposed equipment to be purchased in order to support client processes.
- Provides ‘on the job training’ to other Scientific Services staff and may train customers on utilization of equipment.
- Support in the preparation/design of operating procedures, SOP’s, INS, Change control and deviations, manuals and drawings.
- Support in maintaining the correct availability of essential spares to support the range of equipment and systems used within the R&D facilities in a cost-effective manner.
- Keeps end user appraised as to the status of the work order until completion of work
- Reviews and updates CMMS records to ensure they accurately reflect current status and maintenance plans for equipment. Where changes affect GxP equipment ensures compliant procedures have been followed.
- Escalates in a timely manner, any issues or concerns that arise to the relevant Engineering Supervisor
- Advanced Modern Apprenticeship to NVQ 3 in engineering or equivalent experience in relevant scientific engineering
- Experience of working in a fast paced, operational environment
- 2+ years post apprentice experience within the Laboratory Instrument Support sector
- Very strong analytical skills with proven ability to break down and solve complex problems in a logical and structured approach
- PC literate in Microsoft packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
- Strong relationship management and excellent communication skills/influencing skills
- Ability to work to own initiative but team orientated and able to work with minimal supervision
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Robust and assertive attitude towards achieving results and motivating team members
- High customer focus
- Ability to travel
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Meet Our People »and learn more about Rachel
"There is nothing cookie-cutter about my job. I’m never stuck doing routine tasks."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Manny
"There’s never a day I don’t think about how my team truly helps accelerate scientific research."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Lee
"Being innovative in my job is second nature. I’m constantly discovering ways to make methods easier and higher performing for the industry."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Samantha
"When I go to one of my mentors and let them know that I have learned something new, I am able to apply it in a real project right away which has been extremely helpful to my professional growth and has enabled me to continue achieving my goals."