Firmware EngineerApply Now
- Shelton, CT
An engineering professional who is responsible for conceptualizing system design and architecture, coding, verification/validation and support of embedded software in multi-disciplinary projects. This candidate plays a key role in our product development process, designing/implementing/testing firmware for signal processing, electro-mechanical and motion control systems. The engineer assists in the architectural design and development of highly complex scientific instrumentation and automation systems. Works in a team based project environment interacting with hardware and software engineers and scientists (physicists and chemists).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Designs and develops firmware applications and drivers.
- Participates in product architecture, design, development and deployment
- Involved in product from inception through launch, interacting with early users, understanding customer needs, and driving solutions to meet or exceed expectations
- Develops time estimates for project tasks and reports regularly on progress
- Investigates and debugs complex system problems and drives engineering solutions to improve or correct product or process issues.
- Bachelor's degree (masters preferred) with a minimum of 5 years of related knowledge and experience with Firmware apps and driver development.
- Experience with modern development tools: (Eclipse, Visual Studio, gdb, git, Mentor HDL Designer.)
- Demonstrated understanding of Real Time Operating Systems and FPGA, CPLD
- Experience with communication interfaces (USB, Ethernet, RS232, SPI, etc.)
- Experience with motion control, sensors, motors, encoders, vision systems a big plus.
- Experience developing scientific instrumentation a plus
- Experience in C++, knowledge of .Net, Python and other higher level languages a plus
- Demonstrated understanding of good software design practices, revision control, understanding of design for manufacturing, design for test, and design for reliability
- Positive attitude, high energy, leadership, project management and troubleshooting skills
- Hands on engineer with good communication (written and oral) skills and likes to solve problems and work issues on the production floor as well as in the engineering lab
Job Performance Characteristics:
- Self-initiates courses of action necessary to obtain desired results.
- Accountable for developing innovative solutions to complex business challenges and ability to deliver on time and on budget
- Leads other, independently balancing high impact competing priorities.
- Demonstrates effective technical/ project presentation, communication and negotiation skills.
- Works on specialized and/or interdisciplinary matters of broad scope, impact cost, visibility and complexity.
- Fully responsible for significant/challenging deliverables keeping management informed of progress and strategic/resource impact.
- Maintain awareness that decisions can significantly impact customers, operations, services, revenue or achievement on strategic business goals.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Meet Rob PackerGlobal Infrared (IR) Portfolio Director
Meet Rachel AdomatSystem Applications Integrator
Meet Many FaragGas Chromatography (GC) Product Manager
Meet Lee MarottaSenior Field Application Scientist
Innovating a Healthier World
Our dedicated team of about 11,000 employees worldwide are passionate about providing customers with an unmatched experience as they help solve critical issues especially impacting the diagnostics, discovery and analytical solutions markets. Learn More
Corporate Social Responsibility
PerkinElmer is an active corporate citizen, committed to creating better outcomes in our communities and innovating for a healthier world. Learn More
Celebrating 80 Years of Making Life Better
We invite you to explore this special section where we reflect on our rich heritage of scientific innovation and how we have made life better over the last eight decades, including commemorating the innovative and passionate minds that have made our significant impact possible. Learn More
SVP and Chief HR Officer, Deborah Butters
Deborah Butters discusses our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Learn More
Stem Cell Study Offers Hope for Autism
One family shares the story of their autistic daughter whose symptoms nearly vanished after participating in a trial at Duke University. Source: CNN. Learn More
Powering Change: Women in Innovation & Creativity
At PerkinElmer, we are honored to recognize the remarkable talent of our female employees around the world and the tremendous impact that they have on our organization, today and every day. Watch this women in innovation video to learn more about PerkinElmer’s commitment to empowering women. Learn More
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit:https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams