Seer Green, United Kingdom
On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Seer Green, United Kingdom Status Regular Job ID JR-027532
We are recruiting for a Systems/Development Engineer who will contribute to both design and design verification activities for high performance Fourier Transform infrared and dispersive UV-visible spectrometers.
The R&D group in Seer Green consists of 24 people who are focused on the development of scientific instrumentation. We are a multi-disciplinary team responsible for new product concepts, their development, and ongoing support for manufacturing.
Our product responsibilities encompass a range of complex high-precision optical and thermal analysis instrumentation that is manufactured in our factory in Wales (primarily Fourier transform infrared spectrometers, UV-visible spectrometers, and differential scanning calorimeters).
Due to the high-performance nature of the equipment, it is often very challenging in design terms to achieve the required performance, reliability and cost goals. The group strives to deliver good quality designs within an agreed predetermined time frame. We feel that an important factor in achieving this goal is the implementation of a structured program of design and design verification. There is more emphasis on ‘quality by design’ and up-front analysis as opposed to design evolution.
We wish to recruit a systems/development engineer to support our busy program of new product development work. The two primary aspects of the role are system design and specification and design verification. The role requires the successful candidate to develop a good understanding of the function and use of the product as well as the underlying technology, in order to be able to develop and document both high-level functional and performance requirements and detailed sub-system requirements. Contributions to system design may include concept development, design calculations or modelling for optical, mechanical, electronic or algorithmic aspects of the system depending on experience and project requirements. Design verification activities will include active participation in design reviews, as well as design and execution of test plans for prototype evaluation.
The role also includes investigation of selected manufacturing/field failures in order to determine root cause and initiate remedial actions.
Technical knowledge and skill should be used to understand potential failure modes and to design a series of experiments aimed at verifying both design assumptions and system performance.
The candidate must have a pro-active approach and work well within multifunctional project teams driving troubleshooting and remedial actions to conclusion. This entails directing both internally, within the local and extended teams, and also externally working with consultants and suppliers.
- Generally and proactively promote product quality
- Understand the products’ performance parameters both at the system and sub-system level.
- Contributions to high-level design in one or more engineering disciplines (in general, detailing and production of models, drawings etc. will not be the responsibility of the systems/development engineer)
- Interaction with other design engineers to understand potential failure modes
- Design and conduct experiments to test both product performance and the performance of manufacturing fixtures.
- Undertake experimental data analysis and produce summary reports.
- Work with and guide junior staff members in executing test plans and interpreting results
- Actively participate in troubleshooting activities including root cause analysis both in the context of new product development and ongoing manufacturing issues.
- Specification of any software or fixtures required for verification activities
- Be proficient at using software for data collection / analysis.
- Working with other engineers to construct the necessary test equipment
- Working with external test houses
- Identify the need for and specify manufacturing test / QA fixtures and processes
- Liaising with manufacturing and service to understand quality issues
- Work within our product development process
- Exercise responsibility for product quality and performance
- Produce the required level of documentation
- Drive continuous improvement of verification processes.
- Manage personal development towards understanding underlying technologies
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor of Science, either physics or an engineering discipline
- 3 years experience in the design, troubleshooting and manufacture of electro-mechanical equipment (preferably instrumentation)
- Experience of working within a structured development program
- Sufficient engineering / physics / maths knowledge.
- Proven ability to assess technical risk and to recognise failure modes.
- Proven ability to plan a program of work and drive it to completion
- Proven ability to design and construct experiments
- A structured approach to work and the ability to operate within a formal framework.
- Good data analysis and report writing skills
- Ability to use complex software
- ·Postgraduate qualification in an engineering or physical science discipline
- Good physics knowledge
- Knowledge of optics
- Experience in developing high precision designs
- Experience of product development within a company making some form of measurement instrumentation
- Familiarity with product design methodologies
- Formal training in FMEA
- Scientific background or interests
- Some business knowledge
- Some programming skills
- Some manufacturing knowledge
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams