Student Scientist (Physics Intern)Apply Now
- Seer Green, England
As a Student Scientist you will assist in research projects conducted within the department. These projects may relate to the evaluation of new hardware or software technology relevant to infrared spectroscopy, or to the development of a functional prototype instrument.
The work will include:
- Assisting in the development and evaluation of new technology, including: design, modelling and analysis, testing (designing and running experiments), and troubleshooting
- Testing prototype products in the laboratory (at the application level), working with the R&D team and applications experts to characterise and optimise instrument performance
- Working with product experts and liaising with potential customers to better understand requirements and specifications
- Completing project tasks within agreed timescales
- Organising and conducting your own daily/weekly work schedule
- Participating in teams and meetings and presenting the results of your work
We will provide training on the use of relevant laboratory equipment and in the interpretation of experimental results.
This will be a challenging and rewarding position with plenty of scope to develop practical experimental skills and knowledge while working on projects of genuine value to the business. It would be ideal experience for a student considering post-graduate education or a career in R&D after the completion of his or her degree.
PerkinElmer at Seer Green has a history of taking students for placement years and many have gone on to take permanent roles in the organisation.
Education and experience
To qualify, you must have completed a minimum of 2 years of an undergraduate degree in Physics or Chemistry (with a strong Physical or Analytical Chemistry focus) at the start of the placement. You will be working towards achieving a 2:1 or above and looking to complete a 12 month placement as part of your degree.
To be successful you will need:
- Good numerical and analytical skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team and also to work independently where needed
- Good problem solving and reasoning skills
- Ability to learn and retain new skills
- Practically minded with hands-on laboratory skills (physical chemistry/physics/electronics)
Examples of specific skills that would be desirable include:
- An understanding of the theory, practice and applications of infrared spectroscopy
- Knowledge of geometrical optics and experience setting up optical experiments (preferably including experience with lasers)
- Familiarity at least one computer programming language or numerical computing environment (C, MATLAB, Python, Java/Android, …)
- Experience with LabView
- Some knowledge of electronics (assembly and test of basic circuits)
Please apply on line at jobs.perkinelmer.com with your cv and a covering letter outlining why you are interested in this opportunity. Deadline for applications is 1st November 2019.
The start date will be flexible around your exam dates and availability in the Summer of 2019. This is a 12 month paid internship at £17,000 pa pro rata.
We regret we will not consider candidates who have already graduated for this role.
If you have any questions please contact:
Kate Snell, Senior Recruiter, PerkinElmer LAS (UK) Ltd, Chalfont Road, Seer Green, Beaconsfield, Bucks, HP9 2FX. Telephone +44 (0)1494 679006. Email: Kate.Snell@perkinelmer.com
PerkinElmer values the strength of a diverse workforce.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Meet Rob PackerGlobal Infrared (IR) Portfolio Director
Meet Rachel AdomatSystem Applications Integrator
Meet Many FaragGas Chromatography (GC) Product Manager
Meet Lee MarottaSenior Field Application Scientist
Browse Videos and Content
We are excited to be featured on the big screen ticker in Times Square, New York City, honoring NewbornScreeningAwarenessMonth
Innovating a Healthier World
Our dedicated team of about 11,000 employees worldwide are passionate about providing customers with an unmatched experience as they help solve critical issues especially impacting the diagnostics, discovery and analytical solutions markets. Learn More
Corporate Social Responsibility
PerkinElmer is an active corporate citizen, committed to creating better outcomes in our communities and innovating for a healthier world. Learn More
Celebrating 80 Years of Making Life Better
We invite you to explore this special section where we reflect on our rich heritage of scientific innovation and how we have made life better over the last eight decades, including commemorating the innovative and passionate minds that have made our significant impact possible. Learn More
SVP and Chief HR Officer, Deborah Butters
Deborah Butters discusses our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Learn More
Stem Cell Study Offers Hope for Autism
One family shares the story of their autistic daughter whose symptoms nearly vanished after participating in a trial at Duke University. Source: CNN. Learn More
Powering Change: Women in Innovation & Creativity
At PerkinElmer, we are honored to recognize the remarkable talent of our female employees around the world and the tremendous impact that they have on our organization, today and every day. Watch this women in innovation video to learn more about PerkinElmer’s commitment to empowering women. Learn More
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit:https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams