Student Mechanical Engineer
Seer Green, United Kingdom
On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Seer Green, United Kingdom Status Agency Temp (EMEA Only) Job ID JR-020109
In the Spectroscopy R&D team at PerkinElmer, we develop IR & UV Spectroscopy instrumentation for materials characterisation. We engage with PerkinElmer’s Product Management and Manufacturing teams to develop new products from concept through to shipping product.
This is an opportunity to play a full part in the design and development of the mechanical aspects on new, state-of-the-art prototype instruments. You would be developing designs for manufacture, building prototypes, and playing a role in verification and troubleshooting. The mechanical aspects of the products involve a mix of precision metal and plastic parts, castings, electro-mechanical sub-systems, as well as optical components. You will be working in a small team that mixes highly skilled and experienced scientists and engineers with fellow students.
Role and Responsibilities
As a Student Mechanical Engineer you will assist in research and development projects conducted within the department. These projects may relate to the development and modification of functional prototype infrared spectroscopy instruments. You will also participate in root cause investigations into manufacturing issues and play a part in problem resolution. The work is likely to include:
- Participating in: idea generation, concept development, and design analysis.
- 3D modelling and drawings of precision components and assemblies using SolidWorks.
- Tolerance analysis
- Sourcing parts either externally or by using our 3D printers
- Assembling and testing prototypes in the laboratory, working with the team to integrate electronics, hardware and software.
- Performance and dimensional verification of designs using a variety of tools including CMM and optical techniques
- Publication of manufacturing information in our Product Data Management system
- Root cause analysis and resolution of manufacturing issues.
- Documenting designs and evaluating and reporting their performance.
- Completing project tasks within agreed timescales
- Organising and conducting your own daily/weekly work schedule
- Participating in teams and meetings
Training on the use of relevant laboratory equipment and standard methods will be given and support given in the interpretation of results.
Education and experience
To qualify, you must have completed a minimum of 2 years of an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering (or a related subject) at the start of the placement. You will be working towards achieving a 2:1 or above and looking to complete a 12 month placement as part of your degree. We will also consider students graduating in 2021 looking for work experience.
To be successful you will need:
- Good numerical and analytical skills
- Experience using parametric 3D modelling software (preferably SolidWorks)
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team and also to work independently where needed
- Good problem solving and reasoning skills
- Ability to learn and retain new skills
PerkinElmer at Seer Green has a history of taking students for placement years and many have gone on to take permanent roles in the organisation. Students are given stimulating and interesting projects to work on that are of genuine value to the business.
Please apply by submitting a cv and a covering letter on line on our careers portal - https://jobs.perkinelmer.com/
Interviews will be carried out as suitable CVs are received.
Start date will be flexible around your exam dates and availability. This is a 12 month paid internship at £17,000 pa pro rata.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams