Student Scientific Software Engineer - 12 month internship
Seer Green, United Kingdom
On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Seer Green, United Kingdom Status Agency Temp (EMEA Only) (Fixed Term) Job ID JR-023990
The R&D group in Seer Green consists of a small group of people who are focused on the development of IR & UV Spectroscopy and Thermal instrumentation for materials characterisation. We are a multi-disciplinary team that develop products from concept to shipping.
The instrumentation is mainly opto-mechanical and opto-electronic in nature and uses built in firmware to manage these mechanisms and deliver sampled data to a PC for further processing and display. Much of the PC software has been developed over the last 30 years and is written in a variety of languages.
We welcome applicants studying Maths, Chemistry, Physics or Computer Sciences with an interest in coding.
This is an opportunity to play a full part in the design and development of the software aspects on new, state-of-the-art prototype instruments. You will be writing software test harnesses for development engineers to prove out the system design, writing software programs for use in manufacturing and service and playing a role in verification and troubleshooting. The software languages involved and tools will be mostly C# using Microsoft Visual Studio but other languages such as Python for test harnesses can also be used. You will be working in a small team that mixes highly skilled and experienced scientists and engineers with fellow students.
Role and Responsibilities
As a Student Scientific Software Engineer you will assist in research and development projects conducted within the department. These projects may relate to the development and modification of functional prototype infrared spectroscopy instruments. You will also play a part in problem resolution where systems fail to work as expected. The work is likely to include:
- To be able to translate user requirements into technical specifications, to provide development timelines and schedules for the specifications and deliver software that meets those specifications in a timely manner.
- To work within the existing application frameworks to enhance them to provide new capabilities.
- To understand how to test our scientific instruments to ensure they meet the required quality and performance criteria and to work with manufacturing to write software that provide tools for component and sub-assembly testing plus automated fully assembled testing.
- To help develop algorithms that enhance the capabilities of our instrumentation and turn our data into customer information.
- To undertake software troubleshooting including both creative and pragmatic resolutions to problems.
- Be willing to work at multiple software levels from high level application features in C# to embedded software development in C/C++ (if skills allow).
- To document and conduct planning, technical and bug reviews of design code and of evaluation plans / test results.
- Organising and conducting your own daily/weekly work schedule
- Participating in teams and meetings.
Education and experience
To qualify, you must have completed a minimum of 2 years of an undergraduate degree in a scientific or related subject at the start of the placement. You will be working towards achieving a 2:1 or above and looking to complete a 12-month placement as part of your degree. We are happy to consider candidates who are graduating this year and would like to use this to gain work experience.
To be successful you will need:
- Experience in using C# programming or a similar high-level programming language.
- Experience in using Python and or C/C++ is beneficial
- Image processing or signal processing experience would be a bonus.
- Good numerical and analytical skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team and also to work independently where needed
- Good problem solving and reasoning skills
- Ability to learn and retain new skills
PerkinElmer at Seer Green has a history of taking students for placement years and many have gone on to take permanent roles in the organisation. Students are given stimulating and interesting projects to work on that are of genuine value to the business.
Please apply by submitting a cv and a covering letter outlining what you hope to gain from this placement.
Interviews will be carried out as suitable CVs are received.
Start date will be flexible around your exam dates and availability, Summer 2022. This is a 12 month paid internship at £17,500 pa pro rata.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams