Seer Green, United Kingdom | Llantrisant, United Kingdom
On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Seer Green, United Kingdom, Llantrisant, United Kingdom Status Regular Job ID JR-024423
The R&D group in Seer Green consists of 18 people, along with a number of student interns, who are focused on the development of range of high precision optical and thermal analysis instrumentation. We are a multi-disciplinary team responsible for new product concepts, their development, and ongoing support for manufacturing.
We wish to recruit an experienced Program Manager with a technical background and at least 3 years of relevant experience preferably in the development of scientific instrumentation. The position will initially be primarily focused on sustaining engineering projects to resolve major issues with existing products. This will require close working with the R&D team and other areas of the business to determine priorities and resolution strategies. There will also be opportunities to take on new product introduction (NPI) projects at an appropriate point later stage.
The successful candidate will apply technical project management skills and experience in combination with a proactive problem-solving ability to develop products and solutions that meet performance and cost targets and that are completed on time. Good team working ability and strong self-motivation are essential requirements for this position.
This role will be office-based in Seer Green, Buckinghamshire and will report to the Principal Project Manager in Seer Green. The successful applicant will be a member of the PerkinElmer European Project Management Office (PMO) team.
Main Areas of Responsibility:
- Primary responsibility will be for sustaining engineering on existing product lines to resolve key quality / production issues. Will need to work with Manufacturing, Quality, Product Management and Service to understand and prioritise issues.
- Secondary project responsibility is likely to include NPI development projects of analytical instrumentation (hardware & software) and accessories, from the concept through to production launch.
- Formulate and agree "business strategy" (i.e. Last time buy / redesign / supplier quality plan / Operations process improvement etc).
- Define roles and responsibilities and recruit staff for development teams.
- Define work breakdown and resource requirements in appropriate detail to communicate expectations and measure progress of team and members.
- Lead the project team to develop a plan and schedule that integrates interdependent activities across functions, global sites and external partners.
- Conduct risk analysis and test assumptions so that team members own and fully support realistic commitments for schedule, scope and budget.
- Communicate the project assumptions, requirements and priorities to ensure that the team adheres to expectations of sponsors and key stakeholders.
- Lead by influence. Build trust and manage team via clear communications, collaborative decision making and timely issue resolution.
- Provide regular project updates to senior leadership including presentation of plans, risks and performance metrics to established targets.
- Close collaboration and communication with stakeholders including R&D functions, Manufacturing, Technical Support, Service, Product Management and external partners to achieve project quality and sales targets.
- Provide project-focused leadership to Seer Green R&D team members.
- Continuous optimisation, monitoring and improvement of project development processes.
Preferred Experience & Qualifications:
- Degree in a natural sciences / engineering / technology discipline as a minimum.
- Strong organisational skills and a proactive, collaborative approach to work.
- Experience (3+ years) in the development and project management of scientific instrumentation and the associated hardware and software products with a good level of technical understanding.
- Knowledge of project management and related tools (e.g. MS Project, JIRA).
- Strong communication skills, both written and spoken.
- Experience of product development processes within a multi-disciplinary engineering team environment.
- Ability to contribute to and formulate an effective risk management strategy technical risk assessment for development programmes.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment, working on multiple projects with dynamic priorities and deadlines
- Project management qualification.
PerkinElmer values the strength of a diverse workforce.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams