Seer Green, United Kingdom
On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Seer Green, United Kingdom Status Regular Job ID JR-018554
The R&D group in Seer Green consists of 16 people who are focused on the development of scientific instrumentation. We are a multi-disciplinary team responsible for new product concepts, their development, and ongoing support for manufacturing.
Our product responsibilities encompass a range of high precision optical and thermal analysis instrumentation that is manufactured in our factory in Wales. The products are built using a mix of cast and machined metal parts and moulded plastic. We generally design all parts in house. Due to the high-performance nature of the equipment, it is often very challenging in design terms to achieve the required precision, stability, speed and cost performance goals.
The group strives to deliver good quality designs within an agreed predetermined time frame. We feel that an important factor in achieving this goal is the implementation of a structured program of analysis, modelling and evaluation designed to identify problems early in the development process. There is more emphasis on ‘quality by design’ and up-front analysis as opposed to design evolution.
We use SolidWorks CAD software and are adopting a development process aimed at risk identification and management through a framework of technical and planning reviews.
We wish to recruit a mechanical engineer with a proven track record in designing manufactured products of a similar nature
The role demands an engineer to be creative, analytical, familiar with manufacturing processes and have good CAD skills. The candidate must have a pro-active approach and work well within multifunctional project teams. This entails both internally, within the local and extended teams, and also externally working with consultants and suppliers. The role requires the person to actively drive design quality and performance by championing a peer review process, undertaking failure mode analysis, and planning suitable risk mitigation activities.
Mechanical design of analytical instrumentation and accessories, including:
- Conceptualisation, implementation and verification of complete instrument systems.
- Modelling, analysis and development of complex electro-mechanical mechanisms.
- Design and integration of opto-mechanical and kinematic components.
- Specification of engineering materials, surface finishes, and manufacturing methods.
- Application of appropriate tolerancing for high precision components and assemblies.
- Detailed part design, engineering documentation, selection and specification of purchased components.
- Building and evaluating prototypes.
- Design releases - technical product documentation (parts, assemblies, bills of materials & test specifications).
- Transferring designs to manufacturing, developing assembly process, troubleshooting and supporting ramp up.
Support of Manufacturing and Field:
- Troubleshooting and problem resolution activities
- Work within our product development process
- Conduct design reviews
- Produce the required level of documentation
- Drive continuous improvement of the mechanical engineering elements of our processes.
Mechanical Engineers work in a multi-disciplinary project team with other engineers; outside vendors; and individuals from other internal departments (procurement, manufacturing and marketing). The work is conducted within a structured development process designed to manage risk effectively.
A strong emphasis is placed on the ability to deliver systems to specification, on time and within their cost target.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering
- 5 plus years experience in the mechanical design and manufacture of electro-mechanical equipment
- Knowledge of SolidWorks or similar mechanical CAD software
- Knowledge of machining, sheet metal, castings and plastic moulding manufacturing processes and materials.
- Ability to understand system requirements and develop optimal design proposals through theoretic analysis and modelling with due consideration of manufacturing tolerances.
- Ability to design for cost effective manufacturing, assembly, and serviceability
- Experience of mechanical engineering development within a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Previous involvement in most aspects of the development life cycle, from initial analysis and design to implementation, testing and documentation
- Experience in mechanical design including exercising responsibility for specifications and design reviews
- Ability to assess technical risk and to formulate effective risk management strategy including analysis and evaluation program.
- Ability to plan projects and allocate tasks
- Knowledge of physics a plus
- Optics, pneumatics, vacuum, or thermal analysis experience a plus
- At least 5yrs SolidWorks experience.
- Experience of more advanced features (eg Mechanisms, FEA, CFD)
- Some Experience with ProE (legacy products)
- A working knowledge of Tribology
- Experience in developing high precision designs
- Experience of product development within a company making some form of measurement instrumentation an advantage
- Familiarity with product design methodologies such as a life cycle model e.g. PACE
- Scientific background or interests
- Some business knowledge
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams