Director, Environmental Sustainability - Remote (m/f/d)
United Kingdom | Germany | Belgium | Denmark | Netherlands | France | Finland | Sweden
ResponsibilitiesLocation Seer Green, BuckinghamshireGB Job ID JR-021665
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
Our dedicated team of about 14,000 employees worldwide, pioneers scientific technologies for better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally. If you are seeking a meaningful, impactful, and stimulating career, look no further.
A new opportunity exists for an experienced professional to lead, develop and implement a best-in-class, fully integrated and innovative environmental sustainability strategy and culture across PerkinElmer globally.
The successful candidate will have responsibility for working in concert with business and function leaders to create, manage, measure and communicate sustainability and corporate governance programs and integrate changes to our processes, procedures and facilities to reduce our carbon footprint and waste and be more sustainable and environmentally conscious in everything that we do.
This is an individual contributor role that can be based in any country in Western Europe, near to an international airport. 25% international travel expected.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Acting as an advisor to the Executive Leadership Team to provide information about risks, providing intelligence and benchmarking (metrics and initiatives), as well as SWOT and gap analysis
- Defining, developing and deploying enterprise-wide environmental sustainability goals, strategies, guidelines and standard practices, in areas including, but not limited to: greenhouse gas emission reduction, renewable energy use, water use, waste reduction and throughout the supply chain; uses global, regional, national and local regulations, guidance and goals as a guideline
- Developing, driving and tracking usage, cost reduction and avoidance initiatives for carbon emissions, energy, waste, water, packaging/shipping material, commuting and travel and other areas
- Manage the development, implementation and ongoing maintenance of Perkin Elmer’s environmental sustainability data set including a GHG inventory, waste and water; developing and implementing best-in-class reporting and ongoing monitoring of progress to target
- Working with our business segment leaders to define, prioritize and implement product and operational changes that our customers are seeking and will value
- Working closely with Global Operations (manufacturing, supply chain, transportation & logistics) and R&D leaders on designing environmentally sustainable manufacturing processes and products to reduce cost and meet goals
- Partnering with senior leaders, local site leadership and EHS and Facilities teams to ensure that facilities planning aligns with and employs PerkinElmer’s business and environmental goals and objectives
- Coordinating global facilities and energy management data collection and analysis to identify trends and opportunities and facilitates reporting and communications; uses data to identify inefficiencies and improvement opportunities for focused programs and projects
- Working with Corporate Communications to keep PerkinElmer’s internal and external stakeholders and investor community aware of efforts and challenges through the Annual Corporate Social Responsibility report and other pathways; making recommendations for improvement
- Acting as a member of PerkinElmer’s Global Citizenship Program Strategic Engagement Committee; recommending , championing and supporting engagement and outreach programs for employees
- Performing other tasks and responsibilities as assigned
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of this job at any time.
Basic (Required) Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in Environmental Science, Environmental or Civil Engineering, Sustainability or other relevant field
- 10+ years of experience working in sustainability, with 5-10 years of leadership and direct oversight of corporate/enterprise-level sustainability programs
- Expert knowledge of environmental sustainability principles and practices
- Strong knowledge of or certifications in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED)
- Working knowledge of UN Global Compact, UN Sustainable Development Goals, EPA or other global or national environmental or sustainability guidelines and regulations
- Ability to analyze data effectively from a variety of sources
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally
- Masters degree in Environmental Science, Environmental or Civil Engineering, Sustainability or other relevant field
- Experience with supplier engagement best practices, sustainable material sourcing, responding to customer sustainability programs
- Prior experience as a Facilities manager or on-site EHS manager with knowledge of facility design and systems, including but not limited to HVAC, water, electricity and preventive maintenance strategies
- LEAN Six Sigma Green or Black Belt
- Ability to influence without having direct line management responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work within a matrixed environment with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to lead and participate in cross-functional project teams while maintaining positive and productive working relationships across a broad range of people and groups
- Proven self-starter with the ability to work with minimal supervision; self-managed and self-motivated
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to negotiate effectively
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of products, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Ability to manage priorities and stay on top of critical responsibilities
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Meet Our People »and learn more about Rachel
"There is nothing cookie-cutter about my job. I’m never stuck doing routine tasks."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Manny
"There’s never a day I don’t think about how my team truly helps accelerate scientific research."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Lee
"Being innovative in my job is second nature. I’m constantly discovering ways to make methods easier and higher performing for the industry."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Samantha
"When I go to one of my mentors and let them know that I have learned something new, I am able to apply it in a real project right away which has been extremely helpful to my professional growth and has enabled me to continue achieving my goals."