Biochemist - Recombinant Protein
San Diego, California
ResponsibilitiesLocation San Diego, CaliforniaUS Job ID JR-030740
BioLegend, Inc. (a PerkinElmer Company) develops world-class, cutting-edge antibodies and reagents for biomedical research, manufactured in our state-of-the-art facility in San Diego, CA. Our mission is to accelerate research and discovery by providing the highest quality products at an outstanding value, along with superior customer service and technical support. Our product expertise covers a diverse set of research areas including Immunology, Neuroscience, Cancer, Stem cells, and Cell Biology.
This position is responsible for manufacturing recombinant protein & antibody products through mammalian and insect cell cultures. The duties include preparing buffer solutions and cell culture media, maintaining cell lines, running production cultures, and purifying recombinant proteins/antibodies according to standard operating procedures. Other job responsibilities include preparing DNA, planning production runs, harvesting and processing cultures, and troubleshooting. The biochemist position level and compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience and abilities.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain mammalian and insect cell cultures
- Transfect/transduce cells and manage production runs
- Purify recombinant proteins & antibodies by affinity chromatography
- Prepare various buffers and reagents for experiments while maintaining general upkeep of the lab
- Maintain batch records and other documentation in compliance with ISO13485:2016
- Effectively work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with many projects
- innovate – Be better, keep improving, be more efficient, creative, and be in the forefront of development
- Aspire – Have desire, purpose, and ambition challenging ourselves to push the limits and reach new heights
- Collaborate – Foster teamwork, common goals, selflessness, communication and mutual support
- Transform – Adapt, learn, re-invent and change for future development and growth
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in biology, biochemistry, chemistry, or other related area
- Ability to culture and maintain mammalian or insect cells
- Demonstrated ability to be detail-oriented, organized, and work well in small work groups
- Some holiday and weekend work may be required
Preferred Qualifications – Education and Experience
- 2+ years of recombinant protein & antibody production experience in a manufacturing setting
- Experience in troubleshooting and determining root cause analysis
- Proven ability to train and lead junior members of the team
- Capable of working cross-functionally with other departments and coordinating projects internally and externally
Condition of Employment
Concerns regarding COVID-19 continue as positive cases are experienced in the communities in which we operate. Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, BioLegend requires proof of COVID vaccination for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions) beginning January 18, 2022.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
“PerkinElmer has empowered and provided me the opportunity to learn and grow with the company. Every success is celebrated at PerkinElmer. I contribute every success to my supportive mentors and my team, the best that I have got in my entire corporate years. The sense of belongingness and respect for each other gave me a deeper meaning of what a family truly means. At PerkinElmer, I have found my family.”
“PerkinElmer is, by essence, a truly ethical company and I feel myself supported and valued. It is great to work in a place where my personal values match the company´s values, and that is PerkinElmer for me”