Clinical Laboratory Supervisor
ResponsibilitiesLocation Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaUS Job ID JR-026208
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
Our dedicated team of about 14,000 employees worldwide, pioneers scientific technologies for better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally. If you are seeking a meaningful, impactful, and stimulating career, look no further.
The purpose of this position is to provide supervision of all clinical and development of testing in the Sequencing Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform clinical genetic laboratory tests, procedures and analysis to provide data for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease in adult, children and newborns.
- Oversee the preparation of specimens for analysis and organizes tests to be performed.
- Set daily schedules for extractions and non-NGS workflow.
- Ensure reagents are properly prepared and labeled for laboratory testing.
- Conduct genetic analysis of blood, saliva, dried blood spots or human tissue to determine presence of abnormal sequence changes.
- Review test results for QC purposes, maintain legible work records, and enter findings into the laboratory information systems.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance on instruments and equipment according to established schedule and procedure. Verify proper instrument function by checking and calibrating lab instruments and document data. Records on instrument log any repairs, replacement and maintenance performed on laboratory instruments.
- Participate, as requested, in the training of new employees.
- Abides by laboratory safety policies and procedures.
- The list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive and may be substituted as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in biology, molecular biology, or medical technology. Clinical lab experience including 5+ years in Extractions, Sanger, andNon-NGS environments.
- Previous Supervisory/Management experience in a clinical laboratory setting.
- Clinical and research lab environment; exposure to blood borne pathogens; must wear protective lab gear including lab coat, gloves and completely closed footwear.
- Employee may be requested to work shifts other than daylight depending on the needs of the laboratory. Weekend supervisory rotation may be required.
- Travel is not required.
•While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, use a keyboard, type, and occasionally stand and move to other parts of the lab.
•Must have manual dexterity to use lab equipment.
•Reach above/below the shoulder, bend at the knees and waist.
•Able to lift boxes up to 25 pounds.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of this job at any time.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
“PerkinElmer has empowered and provided me the opportunity to learn and grow with the company. Every success is celebrated at PerkinElmer. I contribute every success to my supportive mentors and my team, the best that I have got in my entire corporate years. The sense of belongingness and respect for each other gave me a deeper meaning of what a family truly means. At PerkinElmer, I have found my family.”
“PerkinElmer is, by essence, a truly ethical company and I feel myself supported and valued. It is great to work in a place where my personal values match the company´s values, and that is PerkinElmer for me”