Clinical Laboratory ManagerApply Now
- Pittsburgh, PA
Seeking a full-time Clinical Laboratory Manager. This is an exciting opportunity for an independent, creative, service-oriented individual to help build clinical sequencing laboratory services. The candidate will be responsible for daily supervision of a high throughput clinical genome sequencing center including oversight of laboratory technologists, technical trouble-shooting validation and testing processes, reviewing lab results, developing and writing operational procedures, monitoring laboratory key performance indicators, quality metrics and the QC program, timely reporting of quality event reporting to the laboratory director and to quality management, and provide regulatory, due diligence and internal auditing support. Must have experience working in a CLIA, CAP and NY State diagnostic laboratory and be able to apply regulation to clinical diagnostic operations.
- Manage the daily operations of assigned laboratory personnel to ensure that specimens are properly shipped and received, tests are performed accurately and efficiently, and results are reported in a timely manner.
- Perform pre-analytical, analytical and post analytical test process and evaluate results produced relative to the diagnostic assessment.
- Evaluate data for accuracy and verify any questionable finding with proper documentation, thorough investigation, and appropriate follow-through.
- Assist with designing processes and procedures to ensure efficient turn-around time and accuracy of results.
- Prepare and manage laboratory budget.
- Coach and mentor staff on technical expertise and assist in evaluation of employee competencies.
- Engage in continuous process and service improvement. Make and implement recommendations to improve operational efficiency and implement new services for areas of responsibility.
- Requires strict adherence to quality control guidelines to ensure integrity of laboratory specimens and accuracy of results.
- Ensure all work is in accordance with state and Federal regulations, organizational policy, and accreditation/compliance requirements.
- Assist in maintaining CAP and other accreditation and regulatory agency standards and regulations.
- Performing bench work and other duties as required including shift work.
- Minimum of 10+ years of clinical experience with various techniques especially high throughput DNA Sequencing (NGS, Sanger) in a commercial, academic, or government laboratory.
- Experience with nucleic acid–based assay development, process development, project management, vendor management and collaborative research.
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control applications in clinical diagnostics.
- Must be detail oriented, highly organized, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot technical applications and work independently under pressure of deadlines and a fast paced, high throughput team environment.
- Practical knowledge of routine laboratory equipment and procedures.
- Experience with LIMS and laboratory automation highly desired.
- Practical experience with clinical laboratory practices and protocols is a definite plus.
- Certification as a MB (ASCP) by ASCP accrediting agency is required or to get certification within 6 months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Language: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Math Ability: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Microsoft Excel. Ability to operate laboratory computer systems.
Special Skills: Demonstrate effective interpersonal communications between departments and co-workers.
Communicate effectively (orally and written) with coworkers, employees of other departments, supervisors, and administration. Knowledge of quality control practices and regulations of CLIA, CAP, NY State and other regulatory agencies.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Meet Rob PackerGlobal Infrared (IR) Portfolio Director
Meet Rachel AdomatSystem Applications Integrator
Meet Many FaragGas Chromatography (GC) Product Manager
Meet Lee MarottaSenior Field Application Scientist
Innovating a Healthier World
Our dedicated team of about 11,000 employees worldwide are passionate about providing customers with an unmatched experience as they help solve critical issues especially impacting the diagnostics, discovery and analytical solutions markets. Learn More
Corporate Social Responsibility
PerkinElmer is an active corporate citizen, committed to creating better outcomes in our communities and innovating for a healthier world. Learn More
Celebrating 80 Years of Making Life Better
We invite you to explore this special section where we reflect on our rich heritage of scientific innovation and how we have made life better over the last eight decades, including commemorating the innovative and passionate minds that have made our significant impact possible. Learn More
SVP and Chief HR Officer, Deborah Butters
Deborah Butters discusses our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Learn More
Stem Cell Study Offers Hope for Autism
One family shares the story of their autistic daughter whose symptoms nearly vanished after participating in a trial at Duke University. Source: CNN. Learn More
Powering Change: Women in Innovation & Creativity
At PerkinElmer, we are honored to recognize the remarkable talent of our female employees around the world and the tremendous impact that they have on our organization, today and every day. Watch this women in innovation video to learn more about PerkinElmer’s commitment to empowering women. Learn More
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit:https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams