Senior Mechanical Engineer
On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Naperville, Illinois Status Regular Job ID JR-023315
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
Our dedicated team of about 14,000 employees worldwide, pioneers scientific technologies for better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
If you are seeking a meaningful, impactful, and stimulating career, look no further.
- Responsible for the electro-mechanical development of our RRD products and support of our JANUS platform following best practices in Design for Manufacturing
- Perform relevant analysis (structural, thermal, optical, etc.) and modeling of designs
- Perform tolerance studies to assure form, fit and function of related parts and assemblies
- Design and develop “proof of principle” breadboard systems, as well as conduct feasibility studies and testing on new and modified designs
- Use SolidWorks 3D CAD software in performing design tasks
- Create complete documentation packages (part models, assembly models, detail drawings, assembly drawings, commercial part specifications and Bills of Material)
- Knowledgeable about our product data management (PDM) and Agile systems, as well as our engineering change (EC) and drawing release (DR) processes
- Review documentation for completeness, accuracy, and manufacturability
- Follow new product phased-gate development process through design, manufacturing transition and commercial release
- BS Mechanical, Industrial, Manufacturing or E/M Engineering
- 5+ Years of experience
- 2+ Years of electronic components
- Machine design experience, preferably in the automation/life science applications with experience in the linear motion control, bench top automation, precision positioning devices, computer-controlled hardware and fluid dispensing
- Experience in developing and using 3D CAD modeling (SolidWorks) and finite element analysis to design and create fabrication drawings using manufacturing processes including machined and turned parts, sheet metal fabrication, molded disposable parts and larger molded instrument skins
- System level experience in troubleshooting production and field problems to determine root causes
- Aptitude to learn new systems and retain technical information
- Commitment to customer excellence with demonstrated ethics and integrity
- Self-starter, detail oriented, and strong collaborative skills
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams