On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Lawrence, Massachusetts Status Regular Job ID JR-031402
Nexcelom Bioscience is a developer and marketer of image cytometry products for cell analysis in life science and biomedical research. Products range from single and high-throughput cell viability counters and image cytometers (Cellometer and Cellaca) to high-throughput microwell image cytometry workstations (Celigo), used in thousands of research laboratories in academic institutes, and pharmaceutical and biotech companies. The company contributes to the life science industry through innovation and expertise in the science of cell counting. The product family includes instruments, consumables and reagents. Nexcelom customers engage in a wide variety of research, including cancer research, immunology, stem cell research, neuroscience, etc. Nexcelom offers different Cellometer models to count and analyze cell lines and primary cells, through bright field and fluorescence imaging modes. In addition, Celigo is a powerful high image quality, high throughput image cytometry system for adherent and suspension cells in microwell plates. Nexcelom Bioscience is a fast-growing company in a huge market. With its headquarters and manufacturing facilities in the Boston area, the company currently has over 100 global employees, who are fast-paced, customer-centric, helpful to colleagues and customers, and passionate to make an impact in life science.
Job Purpose and Scope:
This full-time position is for a research scientist in the Advanced Technology R&D Department. The successful candidate will bring experience in scientific research with expertise in image analysis, optical systems, polymer science, biological science, and scientific instrumentation. Operating in a nimble and dynamic environment, the Research Scientist will be responsible for new technology and product development, as well as feasibility testing in the areas of imaging technologies, polymer science, and biological assays. This position will report to the Senior R&D Manager. Boston area based.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in research and development for imaging technologies, image analysis, consumable development, and bioassay method development.
- Develop prototype systems for new and improved products.
- Develop image analysis methods and algorithms for image cytometry products.
- Work with customers to support and develop new cell-based assays and applications using image cytometry systems, consumables, and reagents.
- Work with collaborators, develop and publish leadership content in the formats of peer-reviewed publications, scientific conference posters and presentations, and technical marketing content such as white papers, app notes, and scientific blogs.
- Develop leadership content and peer-reviewed publications to highlight the scientist’s research and Nexcelom’s product.
- Support customers by troubleshooting from an R&D perspective.
- Work with engineering, consumables/reagents, and software department for developing novel image cytometry systems and applications.
- Collaborate with academic, industry, and government labs to develop novel cell-based assays using image cytometry.
- Collaborate with different departments internally to set up biological experiments and test new equipment and consumables for next generation development.
- Bachelor's degree in physics, biophysics, bioengineering, electrical engineering, material science, and computer science.
- Ph.D. in bioengineering, electrical engineering, material science, biophysics, and physics.
- Research experience in bioengineering/biophysics, optics/biophotonics/microscopes, microfluidic devices/microfabrication, bioassay development, image processing or related field.
- 4+ years of research experience.
- Experience writing proposals.
- Experience in microscopy systems.
- Experience in constructing and working with microfluidic lab on a chip system.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to work well in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Computer software experience of image and data analysis, and experimental results interpretation..
- Self-starter, able to work independently.
- Innovative problem solver.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: polymer science, microfluidics development, as well as hand-on experience with fluorescence microscopy.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams