Mechanical Engineering Manager
On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Lawrence, Massachusetts Status Regular Job ID JR-026498
PURPOSE AND SCOPE
The Mechanical Engineering Manager will participate in and supervise the activities of a team of mechanical engineers to design, develop, produce, improve, and test components, products, and systems. This hands-on role requires a player/coach management approach, where the manager is also expected to be an individual contributor. The Mechanical Engineering Manager is a senior mechanical engineer who provides direction, and coordination of all technical activities of the team and is responsible for facilitating all hardware releases to manufacturing. The Mechanical Engineer Manager will lead, direct, and review the work of others, as well as, mentor junior engineers.
- Manage and participate in the analyses, design, and development of new products and improvements to existing products
- Provide leadership and technical support and perspective on cross-functional teams ensuring new products, product improvements, safety requirements, budgets, and schedules can be realistically achieved
- Supports manufacturing, quality control, and technical and field service teams for standard documentation, troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Manage and facilitate ECRs/ECOs
- Provide guidance for validation of products, test methods, and experiments to evaluate system performance
- Create, review, and approve designs and drawings
- Approve purchases of prototype parts, custom tooling, and engineering tools and equipment
- Manage prototype builds and test market products
- Develop and maintain relationships with prototype manufacturing vendors
- Coordinate with other departments (Software, R&D, QA) throughout development lifecycle
- Responsible for the consistent application of engineering best practices and product development processes to meet ISO 9001 standards
- Train, mentor, and develop engineers
- Lead engineers in coordination and successful completion of all job responsibilities
- Manage product regulatory compliance and testing
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) or M.S. in Mechanical engineering (MSME)
- 3-6 years’ experience in a mechanical design role
- 1-3 years’ experience in a management/supervisor role.
- Solid understanding of materials science, heat transfer, mechanics, statics, kinematics, and dynamics
- Strong organizational and verbal/written communication skills
- Proven ability to lead complex projects effectively using project management tools
- Experience analyzing and designing mechanical systems using stepper motors, lead screws, gears, belts, etc.
- Proficient with parametric modeling using Autodesk Inventor or equivalent
- Able to apply GD&T to part drawings in order to ensure proper part fit up
- Experience designing with machined and sheet metal parts
- Experience with plastic part manufacturing techniques, such as 3D printing, molding and converting
- Strong grasp of DFA and DFM concepts
- Optical and imaging system experience (preferred)
- Electronics packaging (mechanical design of a product that contains electronics)
- Proficient in all aspects of Microsoft Office (word, excel, and power point)
- Must be able to lift 40
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams