Process Development Chemist
ResponsibilitiesLocation Lafayette, ColoradoUS Job ID JR-028528
Horizon Discovery, a PerkinElmer company, drives the application of gene editing and gene modulation to enable world-leading academic institutes, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, as well as clinical diagnostic laboratories, to identify the genetic drivers behind human disease, develop and validate diagnostic workflows, and deliver new therapies for precision medicine. With more than a decade of experience in the engineering of cell lines, Horizon offers innovative services including the Dharmacon™ suite of gene discovery tools with the ability to modulate, or permanently alter, the function of almost any gene in human and other mammalian cell lines.
- Work closely with the High Throughput and Custom manufacturing teams to identify processes and equipment improvements to ensure laboratories are producing the highest quality oligonucleotides in the most efficient and cost-effective way.
- Lead and/or participate in improvement projects in all manufacturing laboratory areas utilizing continuous improvement tools and assistance from lab personnel.
- Assist in installation, testing, qualification, and implementation of all new laboratory equipment for the manufacturing teams and other areas as needed. Help train lab personnel on use of equipment and documentation and ensure proper hand-off.
- Identify laboratory processes and/or equipment abnormalities and assist in investigation, testing, and re-validation as necessary.
- Collaborate with multiple teams to help resolve synthesis or processing issues with oligonucleotides.
- Work with the Process Development team to maintain, track, and prioritize all process development projects requested by manufacturing labs. Complete all necessary documents and reports for final approval and implementation of new processes within manufacturing.
- Assist in review of SOPs and work instructions as needed to ensure documents are up to date and correct.
Essential Competencies & Requirements:
Degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with the following levels of relevant work experience:
- Bachelor’s with 10+ years experience
- Masters with 5+ years’ experience
- PhD with 2+ years’ experience.
Desired Competencies & Requirements:
- Strong chemistry, chemical engineering, or engineering experience.
- Proven knowledge of oligonucleotide synthesis, purification, ultrafiltration, conjugation, analysis, and lyophilization.
- Experience with a wide array of laboratory equipment such as automated robotic liquid handlers, HPLC, UHPLC, TFF, Akta, Mermade, etc.
- Excellent math, documentation, communication and operational troubleshooting skills. General proficiency with tools, systems, and procedures required to accomplish the job.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively, independently and collaboratively, within a team environment.
- Self-motivated and energetic with a results-focused approach to achieving daily goals and activities.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
- Strong problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Aptitude to learn new instrument systems and retain technical information.
- Ability to apply project management tools to enable and document cross functional collaboration with areas such as operations and engineering.
- Continually cultivate scientific/technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature, attending external conferences, and developing relationships with key opinion leaders.
- Lean Six Sigma or other continuous improvement technique experience/certification.
The salary range for this role is $75,000 - 90,000.This is the good faith range we believe is possible compensation for this role at the time of posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and this range is only applicable for jobs to be performed in Colorado. Final compensation will be based on a variety of factors, including relevant experience, knowledge/education, skills/abilities, internal equity, and budgetary considerations. This range may be modified in the future.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
“PerkinElmer has empowered and provided me the opportunity to learn and grow with the company. Every success is celebrated at PerkinElmer. I contribute every success to my supportive mentors and my team, the best that I have got in my entire corporate years. The sense of belongingness and respect for each other gave me a deeper meaning of what a family truly means. At PerkinElmer, I have found my family.”
“PerkinElmer is, by essence, a truly ethical company and I feel myself supported and valued. It is great to work in a place where my personal values match the company´s values, and that is PerkinElmer for me”