Sr. Principal R&D Scientist - In Vivo Imaging
Hopkinton, Massachusetts | Albuquerque, New Mexico | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Salt Lake City, Utah
On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Hopkinton, Massachusetts, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Salt Lake City, Utah Status Regular Job ID JR-014044
This position is located in Hopkinton Massachusetts, Relocation is available for the right candidate.
Provides technical leadership on multi-modality imaging instruments and software (optical, X-ray, preferably ultrasound), with a strong focus on 3D tomography techniques. Guides instrument and software R&D projects in the In Vivo Imaging field, and provides expert support to customers, the field organization and operations. Serves as the technical lead in R&D projects, taking responsibility for the scientific background, system architecture, and development approach.
Builds and maintains connections to external experts and potential collaborators and manages academic and commercial external collaborations as driven by project and business needs. Works cross-functionally with adjacent R&D functions as well as product management, marketing, sales, service, operations, and finance in support of the new product developments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide in-depth technical expertise and technical leadership on multi-modality imaging (optical, X-ray, ultrasound), covering fundamental physics, systems engineering, numerical modelling, and image reconstruction algorithms
- Contribute imaging expertise to the development of new products and sustaining engineering of an existing, market-leading product portfolio, from feasibility studies through planning, design and implementation
- Act as the Technical Lead for in-vivo imaging sub-projects or multi-disciplinary instrument development projects.
- Provide expert support on imaging technology to support customers, the field organization and operations
- Build, maintain and develop strong competencies optical and non-optical imaging modalities, as driven by business and project needs. Identify skill gaps, develop and execute plan to fill these.
- In alignment with R&D leadership and product management, publish results in technical or application notes or peer-reviewed publications
- Monitor external developments and academic progress in the field; attend key conferences
- Support team members in their professional development by regular coaching and through the LEAD process.
- Align closely with adjacent R&D functions as well as product management, marketing, sales, service, operations, and finance.
- Manage 3rd party development efforts and external academic or commercial collaborations.
- PhD in Physics or an adjacent science or engineering discipline
- 8+ years professional experience in a commercial instrument development environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundamentals and technical implementation requirements for optical and X-ray imaging and tomography. Experience with ultrasound is an advantage.
- Project management training and experience.
- Experience in managing external engineering resources.
- Experience in project leadership for technology and instrument development programs
- > 10 years professional experience in a commercial instrument development environment
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills
- Structured thinker, strong analytical and planning skills
- Strong communicator
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams