Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
On the R&D team, you’ll join 700 scientists, researchers, clinicians, software developers, data scientists and engineers who work in all phases of the product development lifecycle – including concept, planning, development and validation on new product launches and patents. Together, you’ll build next-generation solutions that contribute to food safety, diagnostic innovations, drug development, big data technologies and more. The future of environmental, human and life sciences is up to you.
- Full Time
- Minimal Travel
We have found that the following traits and attributes help lead to a successful future in R&D at PerkinElmer.
There is a deep mutual respect for each other’s skills and contributions. Whether it’s taking on a new process skill or a new software skill, we are always moving forward so you never get bored – that’s what makes it exciting even after 30 years.
*Rewards may differ based on the location.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Dependent Care FSA
Health and Wellness Programs
Paid Holidays and
Life and Disability
ResponsibilitiesLocation(s) Hopkinton, Massachusetts Status Regular Job ID JR-030025
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
Our dedicated team of about 16,000 employees worldwide, pioneers scientific technologies for better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
If you are seeking a meaningful, impactful, and stimulating career, look no further.
Group Overview and Job Summary:
PerkinElmer is seeking a professional, practical and hands-on Senior Mechanical Engineer who understand the process-oriented engineering environment of a global orientated company. The candidate will work in a cross functional team environment of engineering, scientific, and manufacturing disciplines. In this role, the individual will put strong technical engineering knowledge and experience into practice to develop and sustain In-Vivo small animal imaging products.
The candidate will be required to obtain a comprehensive system level understanding including its application, software, architecture, and hardware components and subsystems. The exciting and fast paced environment of the Hopkinton campus provides the opportunity to work collaboratively with top engineers and scientists both locally and globally.
- Verify product requirements and define product and design specifications.
- Develop electromechanical, optomechanical, fluidic and thermal components and sub-systems from concept to new product introduction.
- Collaborate across disciplines to develop control logic for electromechanical, optomechanical, fluidic and thermal systems.
- Provide technical team leadership- will be the lead mechanical engineer for instrument(s) or product(s).
- Design precision machined, plastic molded and cast parts that are critical to function, user facing or both while ensuring cost effectiveness and manufacturability.
- Lead component/part or sub-assembly/system development.
- Conduct relevant and detailed engineering analysis (structural, thermal, tolerance stack up, optical, etc.) on components and subassemblies.
- Design and develop “proof of principle” breadboard systems, as well as conduct feasibility studies and testing on new and modified designs.
- Adhere to regulations such as ISO 9001, EN 61010-1.
- Interface with Marketing, Applications, Service and Operations throughout the Development Lifecycle.
- Create complete documentation packages (part models, assembly models, detail drawings, assembly drawings, commercial part specifications and Bills of Material) .
- Follow new product phased-gate development process through design, manufacturing transition and commercial release.
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) and five years of industry experience in Mechanical Engineering field
M.S. in Mechanical engineering (MSME) and three years of industry experience in Mechanical Engineering field
- Ten or more years of industry experience in Mechanical Engineering field.
- Ability to lead a multi-disciplinary technical team.
- Has been the lead mechanical engineer for multiple products and/or projects.
- Proven analytical and hands on technical skills.
- Proven electro-mechanical design experience, demonstrated through portfolio.
- Extensive experience with SolidWorks, demonstrated through competency test.
- Basic finite element analysis using SolidWorks.
- Experience with change order processes and document control systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Extensive use of Microsoft Office tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- Experience working with cross-disciplinary teams in an R&D environment.
- Machine design experience, preferably in the automation/life science applications with experience in linear motion control, bench top automation, precision positioning devices, computer-controlled hardware, optomechanical, heating systems and fluid dispensing.
- Design experience with any of the following: optomechanical, heating systems, and fluid dispensing
- Experience in designing and creating fabrication drawings using manufacturing processes including machined and turned parts, sheet metal fabrication, molded disposable parts, and larger molded instrument skins.
- System level experience in troubleshooting production and field problems to determine root causes.
- Experience with Matlab/Python/Equivalent for data analysis.
- Aptitude to learn new systems and retain technical information.
- Commitment to customer excellence with demonstrated ethics and integrity.
- Self-starter, detail oriented, and strong collaborative skills.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams