Application Development Scientist – Automation & Liquid HandlingApply Now
- Hopkinton, MA
The Application Development Scientist provides expertise on the programming and integration of liquid handlers with a thorough understanding of the software, hardware, features, and capabilities of the PerkinElmer automation workstations with a focus on Proteomics. This expertise is applied toward the development and optimization of specific pre-programmed protocols (applications) that may be installed and run on various liquid handling workstations. The position is heavily focused on creating applications for LC/MS, protein screening and food analysis workflows. The position involves working both independently and as part of a team that may include mechanical engineers, software engineers, biochemists and/or molecular biologists, commercial customers and project managers.
The individual is expected to support the global PerkinElmer automation business by expanding instrument capabilities, working as necessary with technical support to troubleshoot complex customer issues, and providing training and marketing material for new application capabilities that will be used to support the sales of automation instruments globally. Candidate should be detail oriented, passionate and self-motivated individual who wants to make a difference in the field of innovative, next generation healthcare products.
The role is critical in driving the development and support of global field application specialists & the PerkinElmer sales team. Working with key commercial entities, you will craft automation methods & workflows that will be disseminated globally, allowing PerkinElmer specialist to support internal sales specialists and customers with novel and well annotated automation methods, allowing PerkinElmer to continue to lead the field.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop user friendly, pre-programmed applications for the execution of complex sample preparation protocols that can be run by laboratory personnel with little/no experience running or programming liquid handlers.
- Design and execute validation test plans including processing samples and generating run reports and application notes.
- Program software add-ons that expand the capabilities of liquid handling workstations beyond the features and commands that are available in the released software and/or allow the integration of new tools with the liquid handling workstation.
- Work with engineers and software developers to define requirements for instrument capabilities in order to support new types of applications.
- Support new product development by designing and executing test protocols to ensure that new instruments meet user requirements and perform to specifications.
- 10-20% travel to support FAS teams and customers with training and troubleshooting.
Assist in the writing of application notes and white papers related to automation/ workflow method development and testing.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biology, Genomics, Biomedical Engineering, or related field
- Minimum 1-2 years industry experience working with instrument development
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Lab Automation Experience including liquid handling (preferably PerkinElmer products), Liquid Chromatography, Mass Spectrometry, nucleic acid extractions and general molecular biology laboratory techniques
- Competency with Microsoft Office software
- Laboratory experience with molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, or related field with ability to independently follow experimental protocols and interpret/present results in a clear and concise manner.
Physical Requirements (if applicable):
- Physically capable of working in a laboratory environment
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Meet Rob PackerGlobal Infrared (IR) Portfolio Director
Meet Rachel AdomatSystem Applications Integrator
Meet Many FaragGas Chromatography (GC) Product Manager
Meet Lee MarottaSenior Field Application Scientist
Innovating a Healthier World
Our dedicated team of about 11,000 employees worldwide are passionate about providing customers with an unmatched experience as they help solve critical issues especially impacting the diagnostics, discovery and analytical solutions markets. Learn More
Corporate Social Responsibility
PerkinElmer is an active corporate citizen, committed to creating better outcomes in our communities and innovating for a healthier world. Learn More
Celebrating 80 Years of Making Life Better
We invite you to explore this special section where we reflect on our rich heritage of scientific innovation and how we have made life better over the last eight decades, including commemorating the innovative and passionate minds that have made our significant impact possible. Learn More
SVP and Chief HR Officer, Deborah Butters
Deborah Butters discusses our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Learn More
Stem Cell Study Offers Hope for Autism
One family shares the story of their autistic daughter whose symptoms nearly vanished after participating in a trial at Duke University. Source: CNN. Learn More
Powering Change: Women in Innovation & Creativity
At PerkinElmer, we are honored to recognize the remarkable talent of our female employees around the world and the tremendous impact that they have on our organization, today and every day. Watch this women in innovation video to learn more about PerkinElmer’s commitment to empowering women. Learn More
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit:https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams