Upper Providence, Pennsylvania | , Remote
ResponsibilitiesLocation Upper Providence, PennsylvaniaUS Job ID JR-027825
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
Our dedicated team of about 16,000 employees worldwide, pioneers scientific technologies for better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
If you are seeking a meaningful, impactful, and stimulating career, look no further.
Position Title: Lab Concierge
Location: Upper Providence, PA
This role is located on-site, at a world-leading customer in the pharmaceutical industry. The role’s purpose is to provide a coordination service to research groups as part of the scientific services support team. The goal is to enable smooth facilitation and effective function of the working environment by providing a single point of contact to ensure the smooth running of the laboratory environment.
• To provide a general induction/orientation for new members of staff and visitors.
• To provide coordination of a 5S lean service.
• To work with Customer and PerkinElmer staff to ensure quality and compliance within the laboratory.
• To be the first line of support for infrastructure, engineering, purchasing, IT and other service providers; reporting of faults and ensuring these are closed out in a timely fashion; i.e. to act as a single point of contact and help ensure minimal disruption.
• Meet regularly with laboratory service providers to ensure open lines of communication.
• Meet regularly with key stakeholders (lab staff, service providers, management) to identify, review and resolve issues in a timely manner and/or escalate as necessary.
• To be point of contact for equipment maintenance in liaison with Asset Management team and customer lab staff, facilitating scheduling and hosting of engineering visits for maintenance and/or repair.
• To help coordinate and oversee lab stocks in liaison with site stores (e.g. through kanban or via local procedures). Ensures appropriate tracking and safe delivery and storage of goods in the lab.
• To help coordinate the working environment with lab staff and PerkinElmer e.g. lab space, availability of PPE, and removal of redundant equipment, etc.
• To support coordination of waste removal from labs, ensuring use of appropriate waste streams with appropriate third-party vendors.
• To work in collaboration with Customer line safety reps to ensure a high level of safety is maintained in the lab.
• To coordinate the provision of lab services (e.g., gases/LN2/dry ice/deep cleans) by liaison with lab support services staff.
• To work with PerkinElmer and customer staff to help maintain lab documentation and coordinate archiving.
• To Coordinate periodic review of Service Level Agreement contracted tasks with all relevant groups (i.e Customer lines, Technical Laboratory Services and management).
• To provide timely communication to lab users on impact of any site service work.
• High School Diploma required; Associates degree or higher preferred and relevant industry experience.
• Experience in a lab concierge or comparable role is a plus.
• Good IT skills.
• Use of ordering systems (desirable).
• Ability to improve processes.
• Knowledge of 5S principles (desirable).
• Working understanding of GLP/GxP (desirable).
• Strong verbal communication skills.
• Experience within the pharmaceutical industry.
• Knowledge of Health and Safety.
• Knowledge of databases and ordering systems.
• Self-motivated and ability to work under pressure to balance conflicting deadlines.
• Knowledge of chemicals and safe handling.
• Aptitude for technical and practical matters.
• Experience of working in a compliance driven environment.
• Service orientated attitude combined with innovative thinking.
• Strong team player with experience in a high-quality customer service operation.
• Able to complete relevant paperwork according to principles of Good Documentation Practice.
• The overall physical exertion of this position requires:
• Sit or stand 2-3 hours in laboratory areas.
• Walk 2-3 hours within a facility.
• Reach above/below the shoulder, bend at the knees and waist.
• Lift up to 25 lbs.
• Office work activities, including keyboard, with fingers/hands/arms up to 4 hours.
• Work around moving laboratory equipment and machinery.
• Use of personal protective equipment in laboratory.
• Work with biohazards such as blood borne pathogens.
• Must be able to work in a laboratory, controlled environments requiring personal protective equipment.
• Job pace may be fast and job completion demands may be high.
• Employee maybe required to manage hazardous wastes in compliance with company procedures & State/Federal/Local hazardous waste regulations. Duties may include: Identifying, handling, generating, accumulating, storing, labeling.
• Ensure safety, security, and the environment in all aspect of the daily activities, and any potential safety hazards are addressed and corrected immediately.
• Understand ergonomic relationship between people, equipment and working environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Act as a single point of contact for scientists, coordinating flow of services to lab and write up areas
• Liaise with all lab services (e.g. in-lab technical support, housekeeping, glass wash, facilities) to ensure the level of service meets the needs of the scientists
• Support the raising, monitoring and closing out of help desk tickets, equipment maintenance/repair, IT Services and infrastructure
• Support the general induction and familiarization for new starters within the laboratories
• Provide co-ordination of a 5S lean service working with lab supervisors
• Responsible for the scheduling/booking of the agreed shared lab equipment including asset oversight
• Ordering of goods and consumables, chemicals and reagents via customer's self-service point systems
• Ensures appropriate tracking, safe delivery and storage of goods
• To co-ordinate the removal of waste from laboratories including provision of a local solvent bulking service where applicable
• Ensure that all lab and write up spaces are clear and ready for use by customer's scientists.
• To carry out all requests and tasks in a helpful and professional manner, build relationships with key staff and consistently demonstrate a good customer service interface
• Bachelors degree or equivalent preferred.
• 1-2 years of experience in a customer facing role
• 1-2 years of professional work experience
Preferred Qualifications, knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• 1-2 years of work experience in a laboratory environment.
• 1-2 years of experience in a customer facing role in a scientific environment
• 1-2 years of experience working in a highly regulated environment and/or GxP related experience
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to prioritize multiple requests with different levels of urgency
• Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and accurate data entry
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
“PerkinElmer has empowered and provided me the opportunity to learn and grow with the company. Every success is celebrated at PerkinElmer. I contribute every success to my supportive mentors and my team, the best that I have got in my entire corporate years. The sense of belongingness and respect for each other gave me a deeper meaning of what a family truly means. At PerkinElmer, I have found my family.”
“PerkinElmer is, by essence, a truly ethical company and I feel myself supported and valued. It is great to work in a place where my personal values match the company´s values, and that is PerkinElmer for me”