Scientific Services Specialist, Technical StewardingApply Now
- Hertfordshire, England
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate to provide critical lab support at a customer site. The Technical Steward owns and manages consumable inventory for laboratories on the customer site. The Steward strictly adheres to safety policies and procedures, maintains excellent communication with scientific staff, and provides metrics to management. A successful candidate should have great attention to detail, outstanding organizational skills, and the ability to communicate effectively and be able to work independently.
- Monitoring and provision of gas supply to the buildings and labs where gas cylinders are utilized.
- Maintain cardice bins in designated building locations. Monitor dry ice levels daily so that adequate supply is maintained. Adjust orders as demand changes.
- Maintain laboratories consumable lab supplies and chemicals. Use appropriate inventory service and maintain appropriate supply of a refined list of lab supplies and chemicals.
- Provide and maintain MSDS are available for all chemicals stored on-site (non-chemical stores). MSDS sheets are accumulated for all items procured.
- Receive and process all radiation packages before delivering to the end user.
- Verify all appropriate data (including: dose rate, swipe results, and reference date) is collected and entered into the RAMS computer system and correct any identified meaningful discrepancies and errors.
- Receive laboratory supply packages and deliver to the appropriate locations. Scan packages at the labs or designated area to capture the delivery location, time and date.
- Draw and transport water samples from designated clean water systems as requested. Label all samples with the date and time of the collection, port number, and the Laboratory Services technician initials.
- Receive request for chemicals stored in shared ChemStores. Pull requested chemical and prepare for shipment if chemical meets the materials of trade (MOTs) requirement.
- Process requests for clinical return packaging material. Schedule shipment dates to meet requestor’s requirements.
- Manage and maintain specially denatured alcohol (SDA) permits; assist in managing permits for operations as appropriate.
- Receive and distribute packages appropriately, engaging with regulatory agencies, including US NRC and UK Environmental Agency as required
- A'Levels, BTech, OND or Associates degree preferred in a biology/chemistry, safety, or biotechnology field/role.
- Experience with inventory management including chemicals and other consumables is a plus.
- Experience with inventory management software is important.
- MS Office Skills: Outlook, PowerPoint, Word.
- The overall physical exertion of this position requires:
- Sit or stand 2-3 hours in laboratory areas.
- Walk 2-3 hours within a facility.
- Reach above/below the shoulder, bend at the knees and waist.
- Lift up to 25 lbs.
- Office work activities, including keyboard, with fingers/hands/arms up to 4 hours.
- Work around moving laboratory equipment and machinery.
- Use of personal protective equipment in laboratory.
- Work with biohazards such as blood borne pathogens.
- Must be able to work in a laboratory, controlled environments requiring personal protective equipment.
- Job pace may be fast and job completion demands may be high.
- Employee maybe required to manage hazardous wastes in compliance with company procedures & State/Federal/Local hazardous waste regulations. Duties may include: Identifying, handling, generating, accumulating, storing, labeling.
- Ensure safety, security, and the environment in all aspect of the daily activities, and any potential safety hazards are addressed and corrected immediately.
- Understand ergonomic relationship between people, equipment and working environment.
What is Scientific Services?
- We collaborate with world-leading organizations to help make their research processes more efficient. We source and manage targeted expertise to help free a customer’s scientific staff, so that they can concentrate on bigger picture activities. You are hired on as a full-time PerkinElmer employee and have opportunities to grow within our organization.
Benefits to working for PerkinElmer:
Backed by an 80-year history rich in innovation, PerkinElmer is a long-time leader and pioneer in the scientific community. We hire talented, committed and driven people and strive to create a work environment that brings out the entrepreneur in all of us. Benefit packages include: pension, private medical cover, life assurance, 25 days holidays and a commitment to personal and professional development.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Meet Rob PackerGlobal Infrared (IR) Portfolio Director
Meet Rachel AdomatSystem Applications Integrator
Meet Many FaragGas Chromatography (GC) Product Manager
Meet Lee MarottaSenior Field Application Scientist
Browse Videos and Content
We are excited to be featured on the big screen ticker in Times Square, New York City, honoring NewbornScreeningAwarenessMonth
Innovating a Healthier World
Our dedicated team of about 11,000 employees worldwide are passionate about providing customers with an unmatched experience as they help solve critical issues especially impacting the diagnostics, discovery and analytical solutions markets. Learn More
Corporate Social Responsibility
PerkinElmer is an active corporate citizen, committed to creating better outcomes in our communities and innovating for a healthier world. Learn More
Celebrating 80 Years of Making Life Better
We invite you to explore this special section where we reflect on our rich heritage of scientific innovation and how we have made life better over the last eight decades, including commemorating the innovative and passionate minds that have made our significant impact possible. Learn More
SVP and Chief HR Officer, Deborah Butters
Deborah Butters discusses our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Learn More
Stem Cell Study Offers Hope for Autism
One family shares the story of their autistic daughter whose symptoms nearly vanished after participating in a trial at Duke University. Source: CNN. Learn More
Powering Change: Women in Innovation & Creativity
At PerkinElmer, we are honored to recognize the remarkable talent of our female employees around the world and the tremendous impact that they have on our organization, today and every day. Watch this women in innovation video to learn more about PerkinElmer’s commitment to empowering women. Learn More
Please be aware, PerkinElmer does not make job offers without conducting in-person interviews. We do not charge job application fees, any request for fees is not a legitimate PerkinElmer job offer. Please be aware that remote job scams have been reported against many companies, for more information please visit:https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams