Field Service Engineer- Chicago area
ResponsibilitiesLocation Chicago, IllinoisUS Job ID JR-018260
The Customer Support Engineer helps PerkinElmer customers enhance the productivity of their laboratory processes and drives high levels of customer satisfaction by providing expert service and support to customers within a primary geographic area. Delivers services and support which includes direct installation, preventive maintenance and repair of company equipment and/or multivendor products, validation services and service entitlements. Represents the face of PerkinElmer to the customer and drives best-in-class customer service, responsiveness and professionalism in all customer interactions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install, maintain and repair PerkinElmer and/or multivendor equipment at customer sites ensuring best-in-class service within established time frame and assigned geographical area
- Drive toward zero service recalls
- Provide repairs and scheduled maintenance for contract customers, corrective service for non-contract customers (billed at an hourly rate) and warranty services which apply to our products in the field
- Deliver customer training for instrument operation and user maintenance, one on one or in smaller group sessions
- Drive to understand customer’s analytical workflow and applications
- Complete assigned preventive maintenance calls at customer sites within prescribed time frame and established performance standards
- Demonstrate knowledge of and adherence to the installation, warranty, and service agreement provisions to provide adequate billing information to the customer
- Drive the sale of new service agreements, service agreement upgrades and instrument add-ons to existing contracts
- Encourage customers to purchase training, support, software, laboratory services products and field installed computer hardware upgrades
- Assist and support local sales representative to help secure new instrument orders
- Contribute to account profitability by generating revenue and controlling the cost of service through billable labor/travel orders, parts orders, support orders, billable install orders, and consumables
- Develop organization awareness of other functional groups and product lines to direct customers or others to appropriate resources
- Maintain updated documentation around dispatch, inventory and service support functions of the job
- Perform timely uploads and downloads of required data to ensure the integrity of service system(s)
- Accountable for assigned company assets to include: Company vehicle, tools, test equipment (MTE), telecommunication equipment, assigned service parts inventory, etc.
- Manage appropriate levels of inventory to ensure adequate supply and records are maintained
- Proactively develop technical and soft skills to maintain and enhance PerkinElmer’s value proposition to the customer
- Enhance PerkinElmer’s product quality by proactively reporting improvement opportunities via the quality notification process
- Display exceptional written and verbal communication skills and actively interface with peers and customers
- Seek higher level certification through participation in company sponsored training & development offerings
- Complete all administrative tasks to include but not limited to time reporting, LMS trainings, etc.
- Ability to travel by air, vehicle and/or other means of transportation as business requires
- Must have a valid driver’s license; While performing the duties of this job, the employee must safely operate a motor vehicle at all times
- Bachelor's Degree or Technical Degree in Applied Science, Biology, Chemistry, Electronics, Mathematics, Engineering or related discipline including military experience in troubleshooting, repairing, and providing qualification services.
- 2 plus years of troubleshooting, repairing, and providing qualification services.
- Liquid handling Robotics experience (Hamilton, Tecan, Beckman)
- 2+ years of laboratory and/or field service experience
- Exposure to analytical equipment and/or laboratory environment
- Certification on relevant laboratory equipment
- Knowledge of laboratory safety practices as defined by the Company and/or the customer’s site safety code
- Strong interpersonal skills; strong team player with customer satisfaction focus
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions, read and understand technical bulletins and service manuals, work under time constraints, maintain alertness and concentration, work safely with potential electrical, chemical, radiologic, and biologic hazards using universal precautions
- Ability to operate personal computer to enter data and generate reports, ability to communicate clearly and effectively with peers, managers, customers and other technical support professionals is critical to successful performance in this role
- The physical demands defined are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job: The employee will regularly be required to walk, stand, sit and talk or hear; to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift or move weights up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary and total rewards package
- World-class benefits package and no waiting period for health benefits
- Amazing corporate culture that is collaborative and diverse
- Opportunities for career mobility
Why PerkinElmer? Here Are Some of the Ways We're Helping to Make a Difference:
- More effective medicines: Our technologies and expertise were instrumental in the development of 22 of the newest therapeutic drugs
- Better treatments: Our advances in digital imaging technology are improving cancer treatment for over 1 million people every year
- A cleaner and safer environment: Each year, our detection solutions are used to analyze approximately 2.25 billion air, water and soil samples—reducing the risk of contaminants
- Healthier babies: Our neonatal and newborn screening technologies have helped screen 413 million babies worldwide for a variety of life-threatening diseases
- More informed scientific decisions: We are leaders in informatics, providing over 2 million scientists worldwide with our electronic laboratory notebooks (ELN) and software
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Meet Our People »and learn more about Rachel
"There is nothing cookie-cutter about my job. I’m never stuck doing routine tasks."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Manny
"There’s never a day I don’t think about how my team truly helps accelerate scientific research."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Lee
"Being innovative in my job is second nature. I’m constantly discovering ways to make methods easier and higher performing for the industry."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Samantha
"When I go to one of my mentors and let them know that I have learned something new, I am able to apply it in a real project right away which has been extremely helpful to my professional growth and has enabled me to continue achieving my goals."