Senior Scientist, Base editing - Cell and Gene Therapy
ResponsibilitiesLocation Cambridge, CambridgeshireGB Job ID JR-031988
Horizon, a Perkin Elmer company, is a leading life science company that delivers science-driven research solutions advancing the understanding of the genetic basis of disease and the delivery of better healthcare outcomes for patients. We act as a discovery partner for leading pharma and biotech companies worldwide, providing research services and tools to support the development of personalized medicines.
The R&D Base Editing team is working on the development of a novel base editing technology for cell and gene therapeutics programs. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist to join the Base Editing team based in Cambridge UK. The candidate will be responsible for independently running multiple projects with the aim to leverage the technology for therapeutic applications. This is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic scientist with interest in gene editing technologies and their applications to the Cell and Gene Therapy sector to gain experience working with a cutting-edge technology. This is a lab-based role, and the ideal candidates should be self-motivated, able to work to tight timelines and be comfortable working in a dynamic team under pressure in an environment with shifting priorities. The applicant should have good knowledge of the requirements for the development of gene editing technologies for gene correction.
About the team
The Base Editing R&D team consists of multiple scientists across our two sites in Cambridge (UK) and Boulder (Colorado). We work in a collaborative and supportive environment where everyone gets a chance to contribute to the success of our projects. We are a friendly team; we meet regularly for group meetings and journal clubs and interact widely across the company. There are great opportunities for training and development.
We can offer a varied, fast paced, and interesting working environment and as a growing company we are focused on recognition and empowerment of our employees. In return we offer a varied and interesting working environment focused on the recognition, empowerment and development of our scientists, and a competitive salary and benefits package, including:
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Health & Life Insurances
- Employee share purchase plan (Sharesave)
- 25 days annual leave
- One paid working day each year for volunteering
- Childcare vouchers
- Critically evaluate and apply new DNA base editor to disease targets
- Plan and perform proof-of-concept experiments in therapeutically-relevant cell types (human primary cells and iPSC) to showcase potential of the base editing techology in the C&G therapy space
- Design and perform experiments independently, in accordance with project plans
- Analyse and interpret experimental data; troubleshoot, discuss results, identify next steps, and the escalation of key data.
- Contribute to ideas and help shape future project direction
- Prepare high quality data packages, reports, conference presentations, etc, clearly disseminating the results of your work to internal stakeholders and external partners
- Maintain an awareness of the current techniques/technologies and apply these to research into base editing
- Report on milestone delivery and project status
- Be an effective team member in supporting the research and development functions in Horizon
- Occasionally provide support to the commercial team through the preparation of high-quality data packages
Essential Competencies & Requirements
- A Ph.D. in a relevant field (such as cell biology/genetics/molecular biology or a closely related field) with minimum 2 years post-doc experience
- Extensive experience handling human primary cells
- Experience in therapeutic areas relevant to Rare Diseases (i.e. specific applications in cell and gene therapy)
- Experience with delivery methods (viral and non-viral)
- Experience with phenotypic cell-based assays and molecular biology methods
- Hands-on experience in the field of CRISPR and/or gene editing
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent team player with a can-do approach: ability to work in a matrix-managed environment or as part of a project team
Desirable Competencies & Requirements
- Industry experience
- Application of gene editing technologies to therapeutic targets
- Experience with technologies for gene editing off-target identification
- Hands on experience with blood derived and IPS cells
- Hands on experience with AAV and LNP delivery
- Hands on experience with application of gene editing technology for gene correction
- Excellent troubleshooting and ability to adapt quickly to evolving priorities.
- Awareness of therapeutic requirements for gene editing technology
- Experience with NGS technologies
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
"PerkinElmer is committed to making the world a better place, from helping improve the environment to the health of people around the world. It is a company with strong values."
"Helping PerkinElmer save over 70 babies a day gives me a sense of pride and purpose."