Scientist 1, Cell Line Engineering
Cambridge, United Kingdom
ResponsibilitiesLocation Cambridge, CambridgeshireGB Job ID JR-033038
Interested in a career in Life Sciences? Based on the Cambridge Research Park (near Waterbeach), Horizon is part of the Perkin Elmer family. Our mission is to accelerate the speed of life-saving medicines to the market by providing researchers in the pharma & biotech community with worldclass cell-based assay and cell line engineering research services that are dedicated to understanding and interrogating the biology behind genomics, oncology, and the immune system.
With Innovative Thinking, We Are Changing Things For The Better. Our dedicated team of employees worldwide is passionate about helping customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
As a Scientist 1 in the Cell Line Engineering group, you will be responsible for executing cell and molecular biology workflows to produce genetically modified mammalian cell lines for customers to use in their drug discovery efforts. Our teams work in a manufacturing-style format using modular workflows to maximise throughput, efficiency, and on-time delivery. You will have the opportunity to use CRISPR-Cas9 and other gene modulation technologies, laboratory automation and information management systems and work in a collaborative, inclusive, team environment.
This is a lab-based role and involves some repetitive tasks. Candidates should be organised, selfmotivated, be flexible in their approach and thrive in a dynamic environment, working to tight timelines.
If you have an enthusiasm for delivery, a positive `can-do’ mindset and enjoy performing in a busy team, working collaboratively to achieve shared goals… then we are looking for you!
With a quality mindset, contribute to the execution of mammalian cell line engineering projects. In your daily activities you will:
• Use various cell and/or molecular biology techniques, laboratory automation and lab information management systems (LIMS) to ensure projects move forward within the expected timelines and specifications
• Following training, independently undertake detailed tasks according to SOPs, recording any deviations as necessary
• Process, record, and report all data generated in a precise and organized manner
• Identify and solve problems associated with current processes or your own activities
• Communicate data and information clearly to your colleagues
• Use resources effectively, holding yourself and others accountable for high standards
• Work collaboratively and be an effective team member within our Cell-based Services Department, supporting your own and other groups, as appropriate
Note that, where needed, this position will require flexible working on a rota basis, to cover 7-day operations (e.g. iPSC work).
Essential Competencies & Requirements
• Degree in a Biological Discipline covering mammalian cell biology (or equivalent experience)
• Good organisational skills and communication skills with a proven ability to plan and prioritise work to ensure project or task timelines are met and communicate deviations, as appropriate.
• Excellent aseptic technique and hands-on experience of mammalian cell culture techniques, for example cell line passaging, cell revivals and banking etc.
• Practical experience of molecular biology techniques such as PCR, gel electrophoresis, basic interpretation of sequencing data etc
• An interest in using laboratory automation and LIMs to produce high quality products
• Self-aware with a diligent nature, good attention to detail and good record keeping skills
Desirable Competencies & Requirements
• Practical experience with liquid handling robotic equipment and LIMS (although full training will be provided)
• Technical knowledge of gene editing and gene modulation technologies
• An understanding of Quality Management Systems
• An interest in Lean methodologies (e.g. 5S, 8-wastes, Kaizen etc)
• Industry experience preferred
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
"PerkinElmer is committed to making the world a better place, from helping improve the environment to the health of people around the world. It is a company with strong values."
"Helping PerkinElmer save over 70 babies a day gives me a sense of pride and purpose."