Chemical Management Specialist
ResponsibilitiesLocation Boston, MassachusettsUS Job ID JR-021864
Position Title: Chemical Management Specialist
Location: Cambridge, MA
Type of Assignment: Fulltime
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
Our dedicated team of about 14,000 employees worldwide, pioneers scientific technologies for better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
If you are seeking a meaningful, impactful, and stimulating career, look no further.
- We are looking for a highly motivated chemical specialist to provide critical lab support at a customer site in Upper Providence, PA.
- The chemical specialist owns and manages chemical inventory in the ChemStore.
- The ChemStore is a service that provides safe and rapid delivery of critical fine chemical building blocks for Research and Development teams sitewide.
- The chemical specialist strictly adheres to safety policies and procedures, maintains excellent communication with scientific staff, and provides metrics to management.
- A successful candidate should have great attention to detail, outstanding organizational skills, and the ability to communicate effectively and be able to work independently.
- This candidate should also have great computer skills and able to enter scientific data into inventory management systems with speed and accuracy.
- Manage processing of chemicals in and out of the ChemStores in accordance with customer policies. Provide staff to work in the ChemStores to enable scientists to obtain the required hazardous chemicals they need for their work.
- Maintenance of chemical storage room and lab locations: stocking drop zones and ordering stock chemicals, removal of expired reagents/inventory, and periodic check of inventory on floor.
- Deliver requested chemicals to appropriate laboratory location and receive chemicals to inventory in chem store.
- Verify SDS documents in association with the chemical inventories.
- Log /register all compounds, purchased or synthesized by customer on customer registry system in accordance with customer policies.
- Hazardous goods management and transport.
- Associates degree
- 1-3 years of experience in a biology/chemical specialty, safety, or biotechnology field/role.
- Must have experience with inventory management including chemicals and other consumables.
- Experience with inventory management software is important.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Proven understanding of basic chemistry is a plus.
- Understands labeling of new chemicals (i.e., peroxides, water-reactives, etc.).
- MS Office Skills: Outlook, PowerPoint, Word.
- The overall physical exertion of this position requires:
- Sit or stand 2-3 hours in laboratory areas.
- Walk 2-3 hours within a facility.
- Reach above/below the shoulder, bend at the knees and waist.
- Lift up to 25 lbs.
- Office work activities, including keyboard, with fingers/hands/arms up to 4 hours.
- Work around moving laboratory equipment and machinery.
- Use of personal protective equipment in laboratory.
- Work with biohazards such as blood borne pathogens.
- Must be able to work in a laboratory, controlled environments requiring personal protective equipment.
- Job pace may be fast and job completion demands may be high.
- Employee maybe required to manage hazardous wastes in compliance with company procedures & State/Federal/Local hazardous waste regulations. Duties may include: Identifying, handling, generating, accumulating, storing, labeling.
- Ensure safety, security, and the environment in all aspect of the daily activities, and any potential safety hazards are addressed and corrected immediately.
- Understand ergonomic relationship between people, equipment and working environment.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
Meet Our People »and learn more about Rachel
"There is nothing cookie-cutter about my job. I’m never stuck doing routine tasks."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Manny
"There’s never a day I don’t think about how my team truly helps accelerate scientific research."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Lee
"Being innovative in my job is second nature. I’m constantly discovering ways to make methods easier and higher performing for the industry."
Meet Our People »and learn more about Samantha
"When I go to one of my mentors and let them know that I have learned something new, I am able to apply it in a real project right away which has been extremely helpful to my professional growth and has enabled me to continue achieving my goals."