Product Manager (Software)
Albany, New York | Austin, Texas | Boston, Massachusetts | Columbia, South Carolina | Columbus, Ohio | Sacramento, California | Springfield, Illinois | Tallahassee, Florida | , Remote
ResponsibilitiesLocation Albany, New YorkUS Job ID JR-030719
Imagine a world where you could detect health issues sooner to treat them more effectively. Where food and water are always safe, even in remote corners of the earth. And where scientific and medical research are enhanced to solve the greatest challenges of our times. At PerkinElmer, we imagine this world every day. Then, we innovate and collaborate to make it happen everywhere.
Our dedicated team of about 16,000 employees worldwide, pioneers scientific technologies for better detection, imaging, and informatics to help our customers work to create healthier families, improve the quality of life, and sustain the well-being and longevity of people globally.
If you are seeking a meaningful, impactful, and stimulating career, look no further.
A Software Product Manager is responsible for the vision and feature set of a product line. Their fundamental contribution is to provide a clear business direction and strategy for which features are added to the product and in what order to ensure the product and company’s long-term success.
While realizing that product vision, the Product Manager will work closely with many different parts of PerkinElmer Informatics to set product development timelines, train other departments on features of a new release, engage with customers to better understand their needs, all the while balancing the resources, quality goals, budgets and customer expectations.
The successful Product Manager possesses a unique blend of business and technical savvy, a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality. The Product Manager is the champion for the product and must communicate with all areas of the company. He or she will:
- Work with Customers, Services, Support and Engineering to define product requirements based on intrinsic domain knowledge augmented by feedback from the field and technical feasibility.
- Work with Sales and Marketing Support to assist with the go-to-market strategy, helping them understand the product positioning, key benefits, and target customers.
- Serve as the internal and external subject matter expert for product offerings, working with the sales channel and key clients.
- Remain knowledgeable of new trends and needs in the market, and integrate the ever-changing business environment into the tactical and strategic plans.
- Define feature roadmap for PKI in vivo testing and data processing products based on business opportunities and market research.
- Managing the product life-cycle from strategic planning to tactical activities for all in vivo-based studies and data types.
- Create feature descriptions, use cases, epics, and storyboards used to communicate imagined in vitro test data processing enhancements to R&D and customers.
- Weight competing priorities and constraints to scope specific releases and collaborate with R&D to keep product releases on schedule.
- Be the in vivo subject matter expert in product’s science and markets, and provide vision and leadership to technology R&D efforts as well as the Sales, Services, and Support functions.
- Evangelize – both internally and externally – the VitroVivo product offerings
- Coordinates VitroVivo product launches with Operations, Marketing, Services, and Support teams.
- Develop and give meaningful presentations for internal and external audiences, including education and training of other PKI and presentations at symposia, trade shows, and key customer accounts.
You are the product champion within the company and no list of specific responsibilities could ever completely capture all the aspects that that will entail.
- Master in a scientific domain related to life science research or chemistry.
- 2+ years of practical experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industries.
- Demonstrated skills with software development and technology.
- Experience and understanding with laboratory workflows.
Desired skills and qualities:
- Direct experience managing software product development. Previous experience as a software product manager is highly desirable, though anyone with proven experience “bridging the gap” from requirements to design to software-build is encouraged to apply
- Experience with the Agile software development methodology and related processes and tools (e.g. sprint review meetings, JIRA, Aha!, use case authoring, bug triaging, etc.).
- Proficiency with product management concepts and articulating product concepts to groups of developers (e.g. storyboarding, mind mapping, use case development, etc.).
- Experience demonstrating or training other users in software.
- Direct experience in software engineering a plus, but not required.
- Direct experience with the business aspects of building and selling software products a plus, but not required.
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Featured JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Recently Viewed Jobs
“PerkinElmer has empowered and provided me the opportunity to learn and grow with the company. Every success is celebrated at PerkinElmer. I contribute every success to my supportive mentors and my team, the best that I have got in my entire corporate years. The sense of belongingness and respect for each other gave me a deeper meaning of what a family truly means. At PerkinElmer, I have found my family.”
“PerkinElmer is, by essence, a truly ethical company and I feel myself supported and valued. It is great to work in a place where my personal values match the company´s values, and that is PerkinElmer for me”